Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: International Scout map
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Check out the map on the international scout section. It doesn't really do what I need it to do, but it gives a good idea of what you can get for free with libraries now. This one isn't scrollable and afaik, doesn't return the country name or anything when you click it. It's also caused a couple of script errors further up. Still, it's the sort of thing that I might think of adding when it comes to the int.scout. It's just a cut and paste of a few lines of code!

Oh and ignore the rather bizarre highlights, I'm just starting :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 am 

It visually is good and I like the idea of not selecting from a list, but I'm not so sure about giving away some info about the quality of each country. I enjoy the unknown element of ss1, where we make a judgement call on how good, or likely, it is to find someone. I think a colour coded map would just mean everyone goes to the same areas. However, colour coded as a link to cost of travel would be interesting? Or a clickable map to select the continent and then a drop down for countries within it?

Basically, it looks good... Will be interesting to see how you develop the idea :-)

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I would remove the colour-coding anyway. It has a few problems, such as the UK is represented by only the UK (in football, we have 4 separate teams which I want to keep in SS2), it's not scalable so small countries are invisible and I don't think it actually returns a value, though it probably does.

On the other hand, it does all the work for me and it'll update itself when countries change, though that would mean that I need to have the SS countries linked to the same list of countries (there's some internationally recognised list which is continually updated now and I'd prefer to use that, so that SS stays up to date). Also, I need a version that's hosted online and kept updated. There are other versions written by enthusiasts but they could disappear and often do.

Still, the idea is good.

I think better is the idea of using charts and graphs. There are loads of them around and they'd look good in SS. Perhaps for match stats (e.g % of play in a pie chart) and maybe a nice chart to show where you finish each season. Plus financial charts etc. So long as the graph library is hosted and kept up to date and it does most of the work for me, there's almost no reason not to use them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's gone now, in case anyone looks and doesn't know what we're talking about. That particular map won't work, but I might do something similar when I get around to the int.scout.