Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Like I said, in 1991 I could get away with just about anything. I released another game in 1988, a PBM War-game. It was 'ok' - actually I quite liked it, but it wasn't great quality. It did quite well and was paying my bills. People didn't really care too much about it's endless flaws, they just adapted (or left the game). In fact, some of the flaws became 'features' to the hard-core players. I guess it's because people were fairly new to gaming back then and poor games (compared to games now) seemed good. I turn off games within a few seconds now, which have clearly taken huge teams several years to develop. It's just like 'Meh, bored of this sort of game'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 pm 
Orange box was one of my favourites on the 360 but like you say no chance of half life 3 now..what was the name of the war pbm Glynn? used to play a few pbm games back then..can't even remember the names of them now:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Conflict. I know a couple of SS players played it, but it wasn't very big (about 100 players). It wasn't too bad, the basic idea was good but it had a few flaws. The players loved it though, but it had such a small base compared to SS, which was a gold-mine. I gave it over to a friend to run when SS took off and he promptly destroyed it by never doing the turns but telling me it was all going fine (for some bizarre reason).

I've got a rules-book here, need to scan it in so it's not lost and save it somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:29 pm 
Sounds like i would have enjoyed it :)
Do remember playing a fantasy pbm game with elves and goblins..don't remember the name or much of the storyline,wish i'd kept some of the turns just to have a look at it now.
When i look at games i'm playing now like Fallout 4 the pbm's seem from another age :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:08 am 
Site Admin

I played a bunch of them myself, which is how I got the idea of Soccer Star. I must've played at least 20 or 30 different games. I certainly remember the anticipation of waiting for turns, it was awful if they didn't turn up.

It's strange, but they do seem better than modern games. Obviously they're not, but somehow I enjoyed them far more. It's probably just because I'm burned out on gaming though. There was a time when Space Invaders was awesome, now it's just painful.