Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:15 pm 

Do not think you should be able to cancel bids. If somebody over bids on multiple players it is bad money management and should cancel all bids

Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32,S35 SLFA cup winners S15. Div 1 Champions S36. Joosters Cup winners S36.

Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32

Chapel North (OPAL18)

Southern Vipers (OPAL48)

Olympic Moston (OPAL38)

Barnstoneworth United(OPAL60)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 pm 

Have to agree with Rich and Mike, I don't think managers using a scatter-gun approach to buying players is a good thing, no-one will know where they're up to if people are putting in big bids left right and centre then cancelling.
As someone who does struggle with the finance part of this game, I have to look at what's on the AM weigh up if I need them and can I afford them, before bidding.
Also there is the aspect of people being outbid, might then go and bid for someone else, only to find the top bid for the first player pulls out and they end up in debt.

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:12 pm 

woody wrote:
Have to agree with Rich and Mike, I don't think managers using a scatter-gun approach to buying players is a good thing, no-one will know where they're up to if people are putting in big bids left right and centre then cancelling.
As someone who does struggle with the finance part of this game, I have to look at what's on the AM weigh up if I need them and can I afford them, before bidding.
Also there is the aspect of people being outbid, might then go and bid for someone else, only to find the top bid for the first player pulls out and they end up in debt.

Have to say the last paragraph makes the most sense I have read here for a very long time. See even I don't make perfect sense...

Yorkshire's Finest OPAL28
East Riding Enterprise OPAL29
Korova Milk NSA24
The Rising Sun NSA51

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

That's almost a good point Woody and for a minute I thought you were onto something, but alas no :lol: Remember this would be blind bidding, so you wouldn't actually know if you've been outbid. So if you had a bid on that was currently being outbid (without you knowing), the computer will still tell you that your bid is outstanding, so as far as you know, it may be the top bid. If you then go and bid on somebody else, that's your own fault. And I'm going to have it limit how much you can spend anyway (basically you can't spend yourself into debt).

One thing I forgot to point out was the problem of people typing their own bids in and adding a zero too many. It's quite possible, especially since there's no way of having a HTML prompt-box add comma's as you type (I'm not sure that's possible in any language as it would get a bit messy and confusing while you're typing). So you might end up bidding 10000000 when you meant to type 1000000. I often do it while I'm programming. And if you do and there's no way back, are you sure we want people to be punished for typing errors?

Thinking about this, I could have it put up a confirmation box. Not sure how but it's probably possible. The number can be formatted in the confirmation box so if you still hit confirm at that point, you're basically just not paying attention and probably deserve to lose £9M :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

If that was that big a problem (adding digits) then how come we aren't rife with it happening on the current client ?

A confirmation box is all that is needed as you say, so if you can add one then that solves that.

As for Woody, took one look, thought that's completely wrong but thought better not to point it out as I am sure he feels victimised enough by me already...and more importantly it was dinner time :lol:

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(189T)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Last thing he needs is me joining in then, especially when I initially thought he'd made a good point. Soz Woody :lol:

You'd be surprised (perhaps you wouldn't) by how many people enter incorrect bids. Ok, it's not hugely common but it does happen. I'm not sure it's because they enter too many zeroes though, so much as they bid for the wrong player.

Anyway you're right, the confirmation box does take care of it and it's actually better this way in my opinion. It feels like one of those issues that needs a confirmation box either way. I didn't have one until now and it just feels better this way. Also I wasn't too sure about having dialog boxes for this (or anything) because they feel a bit clunky. I was trying to get it all to happen inside the actual table, but it wasn't working. Now I have the confirmation box anyway, the whole thing feels and looks right.

This is one of those examples where it's a good job I asked :P

Onto the next question, can you currently sell out-of-contract players to the AM? I think you can in SS1. Should you be able to? It feels a bit wrong to me, but then again, it'd also feel wrong if he ran out of contract and you had to sign another just to get rid of him. So I assume it's fine to sell OOC players?

Oh and, I'm having them age while on the AM. Since they have weekly ages now and it's only 2 weeks, I don't think it's a problem. Seems right, otherwise they'd feel as if they're in some kind of limbo while on the AM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, you can sell out of contract players via the market. Agreed it doesn't feel right in logic terms but the alternative would make managers unhappy 9particularly if a player refused to sign a contract and he ceased to have one at all).

Always thought players would age on the market as they will need to have their full age (ie current and weeks too) so managers know what exactly they are bidding on in terms of age.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, that's good then. Yeah it just feels wrong, but in game terms, the alternative is probably much worse, so I'll leave the OOC players as they are (except as previously mentioned, in emails I think, you have to pay their wages now).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, e-mails it was and we should have to pay the wages, agreed again.

Right, that's enough agreeing, farewell net :wink: :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:29 pm 

In my defense (of nearly making sense) I wasn't aware we had settled on blind bidding yet, as it was still back and forth.

Rich, it was 18.30 when I posted, I presume you mean it was Tea time, as dinner was around mid-day :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, just like Woody, I'm a bit confused! What currently happens when the bidding finishes on a player? Does he arrive at the winning squad AND still appear on the AM as a 'Sold' player? I think that's possible in SS1 because it makes a copy, so maybe it holds onto the copy for a week, just to display the winner and winning bid.

I'm not quite sure how to work this with SS2. As soon as it's over, he can go to his new squad, but then there's nothing to show on the market, so you won't know the final bid/bidder. As a temporary measure, I'm just making it hold onto him for an extra week, but that doesn't sound right... unless SS1 already does that. It's a bit vague.

Alternatively I could have it build up a totally separate table which just shows completed bids, which just display for a week. It's not great but it's the only thing I can think of right now. It'd help if I could remember exactly how SS1 works on this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Or.. does it do it like this?

The bidding ends on the league of the selling team. The player then displays as SOLD until the league of the buying team, at which time the deal is completed and he's removed from the list? So let's say the selling team is on a Monday and the buying team is on a Tuesday, will it be completed Monday then removed Tuesday, so the Wed/Thurs teams never get to see what happened? Or does it stay an entire week (or more) as SOLD?

Either way, how important is it to see the completed deals? Presumably people would like to see where players have gone, so the deal needs to either show as SOLD for 1 week+ or a separate list of sold players?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:42 pm 

Yeah pretty sure he's on there for the week.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

I think it might depend on how it falls. If the buyer is on a Monday and the seller is on Tuesday, we need the deal to complete Tuesday, so that on the following Monday, the buyer has the player. In that situation is would be ok because he'd show as sold for the rest of the week. But if it was the other way around, it completes on the Monday and then goes to the new squad on Tuesday, nobody will really see the final deal. I think it needs to be done differently, with a list of sold players or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:13 pm 

I still think his (woody) final point was good, even if it was wrong. ;-)

Yorkshire's Finest OPAL28
East Riding Enterprise OPAL29
Korova Milk NSA24
The Rising Sun NSA51

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next