Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

I actually think you should have a limit on how far in debt you can go on the market, be it a couple of mill, five mill whatever.

Enough dumb managers who get constantly in debt already and they shouldn't be gaining players they can't afford over those who actually know how to run finances properly. Plus the idea that they can just sell players doesn't always work as no guarantee what they will get back financially so you could end up buying 3 players, selling six and still being heavily in debt.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(189T)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:03 pm 

Surely you can have it that the first bid you do on the AM deducts your money off your balance within the program so if the allowed debt is £5mill and you exceed this it would not accept your next bid. This way you would have to think who your main target is.

Dell Diamonds Opal 54 Norfolk FC Opal 37
Death Valley Wanderers Opal 35 Bayern FC Opal 45
Moles Rangers NSA30 Lakeland Jags NSA38
Celyn Coyotes WS 35 White Zombies WS4 FC Storm Chasers WS54
Romford Dogs MOA25 Lochar Thistle MOA 32

http://www.opal-league.webs.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

It can, and that was my point :)

The current version won't allow bids if too far in debt (don't know the amounts as I run my teams in profit, Woody can probably answer that one !) so no reason the new one can't .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:22 pm 

Only just seen this not been on much this week, but as for the question of visible or blind (and I know some will hate this idea) but the big drawback with visible is certain managers will have an advantage because of when the auction ends.
You've talked about cutting down the length to a week or two but this disadvantages someone on their hols who might not ever see the player they may have wanted, but if you keep it as now except for the end date, ie when a player goes on the AM Glynn assigns him and end date/time for the last week (so it can end anytime in the last week and only Glynn would know when) it could be Monday, could be Thursday, you can see what the current bid is, but you don't know if it will close before your bid is in (a sort of Russian Roulette AM)

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Not knowing the end date sounds like an awful idea that will just upset managers. I realise this would mean a level playing field for you, our resident manager who can't work out when sales end now, but for everyone else just awful :wink: :wink:

Joking aside, end has to be fixed sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'm vaguely settled on blind for 2 weeks right now. It's the simplest and I think fairest, but it can be altered later if people don't like it.

I'm inclined to agree regarding the debt. I don't think SS1 does limit you, except for the limit on each bid. But I think the same thing can theoretically happen in SS1 already.

I could either do as Mike suggests, and immediately remove the money from your bank, then replace it later if you lose the bid. Or have a separate figure showing how much you currently have in bids and not allow you to go into debt (possibly not at all, as that would be a good punishment for people who happen to be in debt for other reasons). So if you have £5M in the bank, you can only go up to £5M in total bids.

Yeah for the end date, right now I'm just doing it like SS1, though as I said earlier, it only really works that way because of the original limit with the separate floppy disks. Actually, that must be wrong because surely the AM only arrived when I put the whole thing onto PC? I can't see how it would work at all on separate disks, unless there were several AM's, one for each league?

Anyway, for now I'll just have each player effectively received when his league is received, just as SS1 does.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:58 pm 

Charscot wrote:
Not knowing the end date sounds like an awful idea that will just upset managers. I realise this would mean a level playing field for you, our resident manager who can't work out when sales end now, but for everyone else just awful :wink: :wink:

Joking aside, end has to be fixed sorry.

That's the one thing I can work out...............it's the rest that's a mystery :oops:

Didn't think it would be popular, thought it might be fun though :lol:

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Another thing I wanted to ask opinions on, is whether or not a player should be able to cancel a bid or at least reduce his bid, even with a blind auction. At first I thought it was a bad idea, because you could, theoretically put in a large bid, blocking other bids and then at the last minute, cancel your bid, causing the seller to lose out. I was thinking of making it impossible to cancel bids for this reason, but I think it's important that you can, just in case the example I suggested above happens - e.g you bid for 4 players and get one of them, then realise that you have 3 bids now for players that you no longer want.

So I think the solution is to allow you to cancel or lower your bids whenever you like, but the computer will have to therefore keep track of every bid (I was going to do this anyway so you can at least see your own bids on your turns). When it comes to selling the player, it'll just run through every bid from every team and find the highest bid - so it doesn't matter if somebody cancels at the last minute, it'll just find the next highest bid.

I think that solves the problem. Let me know if you see a flaw in this because I'm working on it tonight (and yes, I'll format an SS1 table this weekend too probably :P )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hate that idea.

Managers should have to manage and part of managing is judging where to spend money and allowing them to throw bids around left right and centre in the hope of getting someone rather than have to use good judgement and focus on fewer targets and aim within their budget doesn't appeal to me at all.

Much rather just have the system count up the bids a manager wants to make, compare it to their balance and when they can't afford it (based on what amount if any you decide they can be in debt) the system tells then instantly they cannot bid.

Blind bids, much as I gate them, is the fastest way, but this just smacks of making the game a complete crap shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:41 pm 

Last edited by Parkside on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

If managers are bidding the night before, or in the last week, as seems likely, then finding foreign players won't apply at all as you would have found the foreign players well in advance of making a bid.

As to buying other players, if managers are concerned about that then just bid the last day when they know what incoming transfers they have arranged.

I really don't understand why any managers need to be nannied to this extent. Hardly rocket science, look at your bank balance and your squad needs, look for players on the market and if more than you think you can get then use some judgement and go after the most realistically attainable one. It's meant to be a management game, how about managers actually try managing their clubs properly, which means finances too :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:54 pm 

Last edited by Parkside on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:58 pm 

Dont agree with being able to cancel bids.. If the bids are blind, as said earlier a manager may bid higher if he wants that player, but then if someone else better comes on the market, he could then cancel his first bid and go after the 2nd player.. that in my opinion would only hurt the manager of the 1st player (who possibly could of had a higher bid) as he will lose money..

I agree with what rich said, you should have to manage the club and that means judging which player to bid on and how much.. if someone else comes on the market that is better, then that is just the luck of the draw (just as it is now in SS1)

If say you had £10m in the bank, and you put in 2 £8m bids, then as soon as you've bought one and the money has come out of the bank, then your other bid would get automatically cancelled.. or you can only bid what you have got in the bank.. giving managers the option to cancel their own bids would only hurt the sellers from someone possibly over bidding

Colwyn Bay WPL61
Bala Town WPL32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Parkside wrote:
well still think you should be allowed to cancel a bid :P

Why would you need to though ?

If in doubt put in the bid the day before the market player sells, simple. No way at that point you can find other players on the market as you already have access to them all at the time of the bid.

Just see no reason why anyone needs to cancel a bid as if in doubt don't bid a few days before the end, bid on the last day.

If anyone is to busyotoo bid on the last day then they will also be too busy to find alternative players via sales or on the market in the meantime anyway.

Whichever way you look at it it is unnecessary. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:09 pm 

Last edited by Parkside on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next