Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: Contracts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Currently working on contracts in the rewrite. Any thoughts on stuff that could / should be added? I am going to change the renewals so that you can specify a number of weeks, rather than seasons, which will allow you to get all your contracts lined-up. Apart from that, I'm thinking that it's best to keep it simple, but any other ideas while I'm on the job?

Post subject: Re: Contracts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:30 pm 

Might be too complicated, even unnecessary, but to pay a win or goal bonus for a player might be fun?

I like the idea of being able to have part season contracts, particularly when it gets close to the end of the season or near retirement.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

I was thinking about clean-sheet or goal-bonuses, but it's hard to add in a game where you need to keep a balance. In real life of course, the richer you are, the more you can pay and nobody can complain about it. But in SS, we don't want ultra-rich teams getting a major advantage by paying out bonuses. Even a minor advantage might be a bit much.

On the other hand, it would be a bit more interesting. I could limit the effect to something tiny, but then it starts to seem a bit pointless. Still, if anyone can think of a way these things could be added without too much imbalance, let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Not sure if that would popular. In real life I think it was mostly added just for the sake of the players, rather than the club. I think if you want to hang on to a player with no contract for some reason, it's not really a problem. Then again, it does seem a bit strange and a bit of a 'cheat' in a way, that could keep them around as backups without paying them anything. Hmm, actually yeah, there's no reason for you to accidentally leave a player without a contract, although some people do wait until the last minute and might then miss their turn. But then... don't wait till the last week, sign him earlier?

I could have it pay him wages anyway, even if you don't have him on contract, so long as he's at your club. Doesn't sound right but ... hmmm, how does it work right now? Do they just sit around with no contact, doing nothing and not being paid?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Yep they don't get paid, but they also become less happy over time (as you would without a wage !) and that makes sense.

Having a player become a free agent is an awful idea. There are occasions when players don't want to sign contracts, managers are away, moving home (so no net) etc and losing a player a manager may have paid a lot for, built up from the youth team or similar is just a way to upset managers and have them walk away.

Personally I never let a contract run low but there are so many scenarios where managers do for good or accidental reasons (awaiting funds, just got the player off the market and are selling on for a profit but the other manager makes mistakes completing the deal so the contract runs out are just two examples) that having them lose a player because contract expires is just plain bad (sorry Mark !).

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(189T)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that's the problem, people may be away for some time through no fault of their own. We can't have them losing players because of that. I think the current system is fine, they just get less and less happy to the point that they won't sign unless you give them a massive pay packet or something. I'm not sure how to do the happiness stat, but right now, it'll probably just be the same.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Can someone remind me how much you pay for a signing on fee right now? Save me logging on and looking through the code. Is it his value / 10 multiplied by number of seasons? Or is it based on the wage?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

10% of value multiplied by number of seasons as you thought.

Heaven help some teams if it was ever based on wage with some of the idiots that grossly overpay their players in the game :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Good point. I am thinking of suggesting a fairly dramatically raised value on the better players (about double, so best players around £10M). This will mean that the better teams will suffer though, which may work to keep the game balanced, but at the same time might just mean that it's impossible to ever get really good. So to counteract that, it may mean that I can add one or two of the 'rich getting richer' ideas that I quite liked, but couldn't add for that reason. Bit risky though, but the game will go through plenty of testing so I'll think about it.