Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why I love Soccer Star!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:31 pm 

This week it's really hit home that I love Soccer Star! It frustrates me so much some times when one team is doing well in a league and another is failing miserably but that's half the fun I think, trying to get the cogs to work together and get a team on a good run. I feel it resembles real life a lot more than we give it credit for.

There are teams that are always successful but can still have a tough year, there are cup upsets which keep the dream alive, I have been on the right side of two huge upsets in the last season or so which is nice! Implementing a plan is doable in Soccer Star, it doesn't just always feel like the best teams with the best players on paper always win, and teams can be one season wonders, only to fall away a bit the following season, as the the same tactical approach does not seem to work all the time, regardless of opposition. Don't get me wrong, it's brilliant when you get on a good run with a tactic that works and you seem to be unbeatable, but it doesn't work indefinitely, if it did I would have Glenfield Colts top of Div 2 after a ludicrously good run where I steamrolled all in front of me in NSA Div 3 in the second half of last season.

There's so much more that I could say but these are the highlights for me, and I am pretty sure that in Soccer Star we are ultimately rewarded when we are patient, which is easier said than done, but again I am sure this mirrors real life very well.

Keep up the great work Glynn, and Rich obviously! Makes Monday and Wednesday mornings all the more exciting knowing I am waking up to a Soccer Star turn in my email box!

Back in the game after a decade away!

Glenfield Colts - NSA58

Castlebay - NSA34

Old Town Athletic - WPL12

Red Star Belgrave - OPAL57

New Town AFC - WPL26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:19 pm 

I couldn't agree more. I returned to SoccerStar in July after a break of more than 20 years.

A friend first got me in to the original in around 1994, he'd given me one of his turnsheets to take home and look through, and I thought I'd like a piece of that. The following 5 years revolved around Saturday mornings waiting to hear the letter box go and seeing that brown envelope on the doormat. It was ever so deflating sometimes when the postman arrived and there was no envelope, I'd feel like running down the road after them and asking if they're sure they'd delivered everything for number 46, as waiting till Monday instead felt like an eternity. Back then my friend and myself were both in the top division of the Royal Alliance League (RAL). I always looked up to his more established team and we'd have friendlies against each other every other week it seemed. I carried on for a couple of years after he'd left and my team soon became the team to beat. I won the SLFA Cup one year and the title the next, I still have the trophy I paid extra to receive. It seemed the game, or at least the RAL, from then began dying out, as I expect more and more people moved on to playing football management games on their Atari ST's or Amigas. Eventually the league only had half a dozen managers remaining and I reluctantly left and my life moved on.

After discovering the game was still going, I looked in to the rules and followed things for several weeks before deciding whether or not to get back in to it. It wasn't a case of whether I'd enjoy it or not, I knew I would, it was only a case of can I fit this in to my life, knowing how much time and thought I'd end up putting in to it. Sure enough I took the plunge and emailed Glynn who immediately made me feel welcome and promptly set up a team, which he sent out. The team I received was in Division 3 of the ELZ. They were called Dean Forest and I was more than happy with that as I live just north of Bristol and a lot of my family roots, and childhood visits, were in the Forest of Dean just across the Severn Bridge. The testimonials I'd read before rejoining were right, it's still the same buzz receiving your turnsheet by email as it was back in the day receiving it in the post.

Barely 6 months later, my first season back is drawing to a close and I literally feel like I've hauled Dean Forest over the line and, barring a couple of extremely outlandish results, we've secured promotion. The whole season has not only been about the task in front of you each week, but also laying the foundations for next season, my first full season for a very long time. I'd avoided joining the forum until recently as I've been wary of the temptation of buying and selling players left right and centre, and the potential damage that tinkering with my squad might bring to consistency and results. However, I found myself in a position where it would be preferable to sell a few players on here instead of the auction market. The transfer process appears the main difference between the game back in the day and the game now.

Now I am here, I'm looking forward to doing business with everyone and getting to know you all a little.

The beauty of SoccerStar is, in a world of ever increasing instant gratification, it rewards patience, as playing just one game per week you're unable to simply press a reset or restart button.

I echo Ghenty's praise and gratitude. Glynn is doing a wonderful job, Rich too, you've both made me feel welcomed and helped me settle in. Not only that, how else can you feel twenty years younger for under £2 a week.. :lol:

Dean Forest ...... ELZ44

Returning to the game after a 20+ year break..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:43 pm 

Love this reply Gareth!

I wonder how long it will be before you venture into one of the other leagues with another team!

Glenfield Colts - NSA58

Castlebay - NSA34

New Town AFC - WPL26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 pm 

Got to agree with both and glad to see you back.
I wasn't away for quite as long 3-4 years I think and I also hated the postman if he didn't deliver on Saturday, knowing I only had a day to get it back in the post so it arrived at SS HQ in time.

As for patience my teams have been trying mine for years, but I live in hope :roll:

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:30 pm 

ghenty wrote:
Love this reply Gareth!

I wonder how long it will be before you venture into one of the other leagues with another team!

Not until I have a lot more time on my hands. Resisting the temptation.. For now! :D

Dean Forest ...... ELZ44

Returning to the game after a 20+ year break..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 am 

Once you get a system going it’s easier! And when you have a squad that doesn’t need lots of tinkering.

5 is enough for me though I know some in here have a lot more!

Glenfield Colts - NSA58

Castlebay - NSA34

New Town AFC - WPL26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:03 pm 

ghenty wrote:
Once you get a system going it’s easier! And when you have a squad that doesn’t need lots of tinkering.

5 is enough for me though I know some in here have a lot more!

I said that too ........................... I'm up to twelve now.

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 am 

Interesting topic....

Similar for me playing as a teenager back in the 90's. Played in DMW games in the Empire and Moore & Busby leagues. I don't think anyone is still here from the DMW games lineage. My teams did well once I got the hang of it though admittedly there were a lot more unmanaged teams especially in the Moore & Busby league.

Returned to the game in 2013. It is good having the familiarity and consistency of this game week-to-week. It takes around 1 hour per week for my three teams :oops:
For me also it was a conscious decision not to get into the modern PC games which would probably involve a lot more time and frustration!

Why not try Soccer Star 2:

viewforum.php?f=38