Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

There's a bit of an anomaly in SS1 where it'll rate a youth find as 'brilliant' when he clearly isn't. What it means is, he's 'brilliant' in terms of how good the find could have been (i.e that's the best you can find with a youth scout). So it's like a separate set of ratings really, using the same wording. People have often found this a bit confusing and annoying and I agree. So, would you prefer me to keep this in SS2 or should it give a relative rating, meaning that a 'brilliant' youth find, who's nowhere near as good as a brilliant foreign find, should be rated relatively (about average)? Or would you rather just know how good he is, compared to other youth finds?

That's confusing, even as an explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

I would rather just have the player be name rated in relation to how good he is in relation to other youth finds. You'd have to be a moron to not know a player with mainly averages is an average find based on his skills, whereas the player's position in relation to other finds at least has a tiny bit of interest.

I say tiny because at the end of the day all that matters is their skills and we can see that regardless of what he is called. Personally haven't taken any notice of what a youth scout calls a find in years, doubt I will start in SS2, as it is all about judging against what you have, what you need, what you want (delete as applicable) in terms of their skills anyway (their skills and potential for improvement are what matters really).

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(138T)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33 pm 

Yeah, keep it as it is, with the 'rating' corresponding to how good a find he is within the possible range of shitness.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Good point about the rating not actually meaning anything, because it really doesn't (the numbers are randomized afterwards anyway, so for example an exce could end up better than a bril because they have a fair amount of depth) and like you, I only care what the ratings are.

I want to balance them a bit better but it's going to be hard without existing SS1 teams. I can balance them for newly created teams but that's not going to be the issue. I need to find a way to make them useful, although I think that they still serve a purpose as they are in SS1, because they're useful for bad teams, giving you a way of catching up and useful for good teams, just because of their value?

I'll stick with the existing format, it works, it's just a bit odd but everyone is used to it by now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Just so that I'm clear, what exactly do people think about SS1 youth finds? Are they any good? I only think of them as they are at Tolbury (actually provide about 25% of my team).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:15 am 
Site Admin

At the very top teams they are never going to play for a team as a youth find is never going to be say all bril, or even perfect for their position. However, with skills going to be lower long term in SS2 their usefulness hopefully will improve.

Even at the teams that will never use them in a game they can still be a very handy way of making money as there is nothing stopping a player being valued in the multi-millions after the best part of two seasons in a youth team.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(138T)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:01 am 

I mainly see them as revenue generating with a bit of fun on the side. That's all going to change though now we can control the youth team and I think more people will be more interested in the players and the quality of their youth team.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

It's going to take quite a long time to reduce ratings I think, even in SS2. It'll need balancing. For now, I'll try to keep the youth finds similar to how they are in SS1 but again, it'll take some time to balance. They are at least useful even in SS1 and as jelly pointed out, you can control the youth team in SS2, so maybe even a weak player will be worthwhile. Might be an idea to make them develop even faster if the youth team wins (that happens now, but it's not a huge increase I think), although that might put pressure on people to work on the youth team, which may be asking too much.