Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Foreign Players
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:07 am 
Site Admin

This is another one that comes up a lot and I've been asked to comment on (sorry it took me a few weeks to get around to it). Most of you know this one too, but there are still a few who have misconceptions, so here goes....

In short, there are no 'pools' of players in countries and absolutely no 'memory' of previous finds. Every search is completely separate of all previous searches, regardless of how many players you or anybody else may have found in that, or any other country.

I don't know the exact numbers without delving into the program and wouldn't reveal them anyway, but to give a basic example, if you sent your scout to search for a brilliant player in Brazil, then the odds would be something like 'Scout level in 100'. It would be more like 'Scout level in 1000' in the weakest countries, although they have higher chances of finding weaker players (100% of finding absymal players in some countries for example, though they're not even worth the travel cost of the scout).

If you find a player, his age is completely randomized too, regardless of all other factors (including the scout level). His skills are also somewhat randomized, though he will start off at the level you were looking for. For example, his shooting might be 700 + (or minus) (0 to 200). So by the time he's been randomized, he may be far better or worse than the rating you were looking for.

I should point out also that his value (and asking price) will be calculated AFTER all other calculations. So he'll have all the randomness thrown onto his ratings, then the computer will calculate how much it thinks he's worth (not very accurately in my opinion) and also how much the selling club want for him.

Again, these numbers aren't correct and are just for example.

The important thing to realise here is that none of this will affect the next scout search. If you find a brilliant player in Brazil and the next team searches for a brilliant player in Brazil (with the same level scout), his odds will be identical to yours. Your find won't affect any 'pool' of players because there isn't one.

It could be argued that this system is good or bad. Personally I like it (and you'll all know that I'm often critical of some of the programming choices I made back in 1991). Pretty much anything can happen and at least you know you're not being favoured or treated unfairly. Of course, the downside is that you can suffer endless bad luck and never find anybody, which it could be argued is a bad thing in a competitive game. But then, with so many random numbers flying around, I find it hard to believe that randomness doesn't even out.

One further point is the whole issue of random numbers on computers. As any computer boffin will tell you, computers can't actually make random numbers (nor can people). It's just a massive pattern that's 'effectively' random but actually isn't. As far as Soccer Star is concerned, it's totally random since the seed is set from the system timer when the matches begin (that's 'actually' random since it's done to the nearest millisecond) and by the time it's reached a particular calculation, there's no way that anybody, including me, has any idea who's going to get the good numbers or the bad ones. The fact that Tolbury have found 4 brilliant youth players in their past 5 or 6 searches is just pure luck :P

Post subject: Re: Foreign Players
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 am 

Thanks Glynn, that was really good reading, until the bit about Tolbury!

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:43 am 

No excuse for Tolbury not getting promoted then :wink:

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Of course there's an excuse. I'm still their manager!