Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Firstly, I mentioned during the test that there is a stats page. It's a bit confusing but it's pretty accurate and detailed, so you can find it here if you want to really delve into some stats ...

http://www.soccerstar.org.uk/ss2/statspage.php

Secondly, I just noticed that I didn't reduce the crowds, so everybody is getting 30k again. This annoyed me at first, but I think it might be a good thing because it means that building stands will now be beneficial since your ground is already full. So I'm kinda glad that I forgot to fix that.

The players are very weak right now, but due to the non-linear nature of wages in SS2, compared to the linear style of SS1, they should eventually level out around the good/very good level, so I think that's a good thing too, sort of.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 am 

I'm really liking the game. There's a lot more detail and options to "get in to" in SS2 and I'm enjoying trying to work out the tactics, even though I'm not doing very well at the moment. The players are poor, but everybody's players are poor so we're all starting from the same place. We don't have the massive inequalities that exist in SS1.

ASP Gold Star WS1
Swinfen Hall WS23 - Relegated with only 19 points 2014, PL 3rd 2013
Queen of Hearts FC MOA46 - MOA Cup Winners 2013/14, 2014/15
FC Chivas WS45 - PL 3rd 2015/16, 2016
Ayrhead WPL25 - Last for an entire season 2015/16
Hundon Harriers OPAL52 - Opal Cup Winners 2016
Oaken Raiders WS30
San Diego Chargers - SS2
Chapel North OPAL18
Aquilonians WS3

http://queenofheartsfc.yolasite.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:00 pm 

Got to agree with Mark and Rob, I'm enjoying it :D
As long as we're all starting on a fairly level playing field, the quality of the players doesn't really matter and as for the finances, well I've managed in SS 1 for years withchuff all in the bank so how much harder can this be :lol:

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:32 pm 

No G No G2 No G3 No G4 No G5 NoC G NoC G2 NoC G3 NoC G4 NoC G5 Pens W Pens L C Pens W C Pens

Trying to fathom out what these abbreviations mean :oops:

Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32 SLFA cup winners S15
Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32
The Islanders (OPAL25)Yth Lge champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)
Yth Lge champs S24 Joosters winners S31

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 pm 

Any news about these abbreviations

Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:08 am 

It's games since you last scored 1,2,3... Goals etc.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 am 

jelly wrote:
It's games since you last scored 1,2,3... Goals etc.

Thanks

Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, as stated, No G means 'Games without a goal', No G2 means 'Games without 2 goals'. NoC means 'Games without conceding', PensW means the number of penalty shoot-outs the team has won. C Pens W means consecutive penalty shoot-out wins.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 am 

Smiles & sunshine to all of you.

I’ve been playing SS2 for a colossal 4 games now, so I know everything.

I decided to avoid the initial testing period for numerous reasons. The main one is that my job is to destroy things, walk away and then attempt to destroy them again. I’m very popular with everyone else that I’m not working for at that time.

Anyway…too late to turn back now…

Groundsman / Trainers / Stats / Random

A Groundsman is one of many things in SS2 that I’m lost with.

Without any direction of a rule book / or in game descriptive features for certain aspects, some things seem like nonsense garnish – but they won’t be.
So, my first lump of questions and anomalies are….

Is the Groundsman effect cumulative, over an extended period of time? Is this only subject to the game week in question? Is the ground preparation entirely beneficial to the hosting team? (a travelling side may suit any conditions more favourably?).

Does it have to be done one week in advance of a fixture, or is the effect of training/trainers after the week results as in SS1?

Trainers - Sneakers / Pumps / Plims or Trainers?

I have not got a clue what are happening with these.

I left the assigned standard trainers given at the start of game 2 without changing anything. Player values dropped / Individual abilities dropped / Morale improved & form declined (I had lost the 1st team & youth matches and drawn the reserve game).

For game 3, I had a dabble with trainer levels, opting for a decrease in dietician and a decrease in fitness trainer, just to see what the outcome would be. I also had a play with the ticket price cost by whacking it up a full 100 pence. Game 3 returns saw a decrease in player values / most individual player abilities dropped by 1/1000000 but fitness increased by one full description level. The change of ticket price was profound with a 70% drop in attendance caused by a 3% increase.

For game 4, I completely removed the dietician, completely removed the fitness coach and fitness training. Game 4 results were updated – my players now look like they live on Yorkie bars as their Strength has more or less maxed out, their fitness has peaked at Brilliant without a coach or training, and they kicked the sweet baby jesus out of their opponents, resulting in a deserved penalty and a sending off against me.

For game 5, I decided to give everyone the week off as ‘Rest’ – Again, contrary to team game instructions, they made sure their opponents left in a wheel barrow. I have contributed so many fouls in the last two games that the match tally does not equal the combined player tally, and the match statistics appear reversed under the wrong side. I possibly kicked the statistician as well.

The rest period is working wonders as I received the following message in the updates after week 5.

Elijah Strawbridge sustained an injury in Monday morning's training. He will be out of action for the next 3 weeks.

(Monday morning’s training has always been ‘Rest’). So, I quickly scroll to ‘Team Alerts’ to find a tick next to Physio & a cross next to Treatment – I have what are presumably the standard Facilities Treatment level of poor. I also have a new player signing (nominal value just to have a play with the game) who has arrived injured for 6 weeks with crosses next to Physio & Treatment. I can’t see that you have knowledge that an auction market player is injured or not.

The saviour of week 5 was a new arrival / signing / ghostly 17 year old, valued more that half of the existing squad. I didn’t buy him & have no scouts and there is nothing for the player in Team Alerts…bonzer!
Is anyone else teething? My main concerns are around training & trainer assumptions, plus possible random hidden events that could blight SS2 as they did in the early seasons of SS1, by allowing a dominance due to one, or a few, seemingly small benefits.

I’ll shut up now.
Chris G

Dore (bs45)
Zebrahead (nsa40)
Otters (nsa63)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm 

There may be a need to scroll down the thread to read my posting due to editing. I may have also posted my post / thoughts in the wrong order, so that they now appear in the wrong placement.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 am.

Dore (bs45)
Zebrahead (nsa40)
Otters (nsa63)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Groundsman only affects the current game. There is no cumulative effect. As with all trainers, he starts working with the next game.

Training may indeed need tweaking, but we tried to get most of it done during testing. The idea with form/fitness/morale is that you need to keep a delicate balance. If you ignore one, the players will slump in that area. Other things may have an impact, so you may occasionally be able to sneak a skills session in place of a fitness session, but in general, you'll want to keep them all trained constantly.

You do pretty much need to keep ticket prices at the set value. There are reasons for changing it, but in general, the set price is the best. I don't like the SS1 version where you put the price down to a tenner and for some reason, double the fans turn up, because that just doesn't happen. If it did, every club in real life would be doing it, just to fill the ground. In reality, if you half the price, you get about 50% more fans and lose money overall. The fans do have a minor impact on the match though and there are other reasons for changing ticket prices (raising it because your ground is full anyway for example), but in general, it's designed to run close to the set value.

I did try to get most of the balance right during testing, but it does take a loooooonnnng time and requires a lot of attention. Overall it seems ok but I prefer it if people keep a close eye on it to suggest improvements.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

There is an extra level higher than brilliant in SS2, world class.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(138T)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:36 pm 

Charscot wrote:
There is an extra level higher than brilliant in SS2, world class.

I'd settle for "brilliant" at the moment! Actually, "Very Good" would be a start for most of my lot. :roll:

ASP Gold Star WS1
Swinfen Hall WS23 - Relegated with only 19 points 2014, PL 3rd 2013
Queen of Hearts FC MOA46 - MOA Cup Winners 2013/14, 2014/15
FC Chivas WS45 - PL 3rd 2015/16, 2016
Ayrhead WPL25 - Last for an entire season 2015/16
Hundon Harriers OPAL52 - Opal Cup Winners 2016
Oaken Raiders WS30
San Diego Chargers - SS2
Chapel North OPAL18
Aquilonians WS3

http://queenofheartsfc.yolasite.com/