Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

I did say I'd run this for 2 seasons and overall, I'd say so far, so good. I'll keep it running a bit longer until I'm a bit clearer on where it's going, but I'd appreciate any extra views you may have on how it's going so far (and who's still interested after 60+ games).

From a programming perspective, I couldn't be happier as it hasn't crashed once and has happily churned away on it's own without any input from me. That's pretty amazing and I was expecting more problems than this but there have been none. I don't see any other issues either, such as numbers becoming corrupted due to bugs that weren't spotted at the time.

From a game-play perspective, there are pro's and cons and quite a few double-edged-swords.

Pro's - It's much, much, much easier to play. Opening my browser and inputting a few values is 10 times easier than messing around with emails and clients, which, although people don't accept this, has caused many people to leave SS1 (accept it or not, it happens on a fairly regular basis).
Some of the new features I like, such as the youth team and especially the lack of restrictions. For me especially, the fact that I can sign a new contract for a player I'd forgotten to sign last week is a big plus, since I don't pay much attention.

Double-Edged-Sword - Some of the new features I quite like but they also seem like hassle. The U16's is an example. I intend to have it 'auto-praise' a player because it feels like I should do it but I keep forgetting. Some of the new features also seem pointless.

Cons - The balance is way off. The money is too high and it's far too easy right now (possibly due to lack of managed teams though, this one is hard to judge).

For me though, the biggest issue right now is trying to get any enthusiasm going, since this is just a test and for most of you this is your 5th/6th/7th/20th team, so it's understandable that it's hard to take it very seriously. Without any competition of rivalry, it lacks a lot of what SS1 has. That for me is the real challenge - to get it going.

As I said, I'll keep it going for now. I may restart it with corrected crowds (30,000 for every game is spoiling the finances right now). Or I may try to restart it with weekly turns, but right now that feels like it'll just kill it.

Opinions please.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

I agree you need to keep testing in the current way (daily) to keep interest going as the game takes shape. Going weekly right now when some areas need a lot of testing (balance of money with "proper" gate receipts etc) I agree would probably kill it to an extent.

I do think the bugs that have become apparent in the ME etc as per the other thread clearly need to be fixed, if only to then test to make sure new bugs haven't popped up and/or the ME works as expected after any fix.

Don't see the point in having the whole praise U16's to keep them if it is going to be automated. Once the system is automating it you may as well not have it as the whole point is to personally judge who to try and protect from leaving. Not found remembering that hard at all to be honest and I can't see why anyone would forget once used to it as it is an instruction that is required each turn without exception so in itself becomes habit forming :-)

I don't think anyone has argued that managers don't leave over the way to play SS1, have never doubted that. I do feel that no matter how ANY game is constructed some will find it not to their liking so whilst appearing to "fix" a negative on SS1 the reality is some in the future will find issue with how SS2 is set up to be played and will still leave (sadly just the nature of gameplayers, some will always find fault with any way something is set up). The reality is that some will find it better to do their orders, some won't, the only one you can guarantee to please is yourself as it is less work for you (which is of course good). The way the client is set up helps "point" maangers to what to do by going from tab to tab in a way that isn't in SS2 so some will prefer the client no matter how easy SS2 is in terms of doing in real time online (that isn#t a criticism of SS2 at all, just a simple fact as everyone is different and will find things easier or harder depending on what they like/prefer). :-)

Agree the youth team is better in terms of using players where wanted etc and contracts is better (well will be once they are fixed so any remaining weeks aren't wiped when getting a new contract) although again with contracts going bold when down to the last few weeks they really should be another thing a manager is on the lookout for when doing their orders each week as an automatic (although the instant renewal aspect is certainly nice).

I would hope that testing continues but preferably after the current bugs are fixed and money is set up to work properly (real gates etc) along with morale (my squad is almost always on abysmal morale regardless of results, training etc so either this isn't working or heaven knows what I am doing wrong lol) and then we can test the game knowing it is meant to be working in all respects and see if anything untoward is then left that needs fixing/tweaking :-)

The basic shell of the game as created is great (and as it is not having issues at your end running is clearly a great start), just need to move forward a bit with bug eradicating, get money and other factors to be running as they would and then see from there.

I don't know how many testers you have at present but I would agree it may be a bit easy in ME terms but hard to tell as not sure how many vacant teams teams are actually playing.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(140T)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:10 am 
Site Admin

The auto-praising would praise the player with the highest chance of leaving, so it wouldn't be great at it. It'd just mean that it's not completed wasted if you forgot. It'd still be much better if you pay attention and praise the best players.

afai can tell, there are at least 10 players playing on a fairly regular basis. Problem is, they all seem to be doing well, not just me!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:15 am 
Site Admin

lol re last bit.

Fair enough re first bit :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:42 am 

I like it, but the daily running is too much for me to give it the attention it needs. I'd still keep going whatever you decide, but weekly or a break for a couple of weeks would be good for me, weeks things are fixed?
Epping United Rule ;-)

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

As we are at the testing stage (specifically trying to "break it") needing to go to it every day isn't really necessary anyway, just mess around with things as you think of ways to try and test it won't break :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

I'm enjoying so far.
Haven't been giving it my full attention as yet but probably will pay more heed to it as we go on and take another team if you're struggling for numbers and getting the feel right.
Is there a key for the stats table as I am struggling to work out what all the fields are ?
Will probably make more of an effort to give it more input going forward.

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 pm 

I have been struggling with finances and we are £3.6 mill in debt. Don't seem to have anybody to sell and without the Directors income I can't see how I can get back in credit.

Training staff down to very poor but on the plus side a 2nd Premier title with Brigg United and a season without a league defeat! Morale still brilliant though.

Long Eaton Archers WPL 7 Shaolin WPL 39
Istra Pula Opal 46 Abysmal Aftermath Opal 50
FC Abertawe Opal 1 Riverplate Opal 36
Dell Diamonds Opal 54 Norfolk FC Opal 37
Death Valley Wanderers Opal 35 Bayern FC Opal 45
Moles Rangers NSA30 Lakeland Jags NSA38
Celyn Coyotes WS 35 White Zombies WS4 FC Storm Chasers WS54
Lochar Thistle MOA 32

http://www.opal-league.webs.com

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Morale abysmal for two seasons and neither season was that bad lol

In debt but only because I bought a 16yo for multi-millions. Sponsorship seems to be a good way out of debt as have one of the many sponsor offers giving me £ 5.2mill up front, but just have to wait for the current deal to end.

I imagine money would work far better with proper gates and a fully active market so players were actually being sold for proper amounts to other managers etc. Hard to judge that at present.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm 

This game must be screwed up if I'm the only one in the black :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

lol Well I would be too as wouldn't have signed the youth but didn't care as wanted to run the club in debt to see how well it worked.

Idea is to be testing the games limits, not just run the game as if it was your own long term side :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 pm 

When I'm in debt in SS1 I'm wrong, now I stay financially sound, I'm wrong again. :shock:

You must be my online wife :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol:

You're not wrong, just that we need to be trying to break the game in any way possible to help Glynn find anything untoward that happens in extreme circumstances :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 am 
Site Admin

I did the same thing - spent far too much money on a foreign find to try to bankrupt myself to see how it'd work out. Somewhat annoyingly, I'm now back in the black without really doing anything smart, which is why I feel that it's too easy. Having said that, it occurs to me now that one of the major losses in SS2 was meant to be player wages and they're low right now since the players aren't very good. It's set to scale more dramatically than SS1, with bril's being very expensive. I think that's a good move as it means that you can't just get better and better forever - you'll have to limit your team due to finances at some point. So maybe the money isn't so bad considering that the crowds are too high and the players are currently average/fair.

Then again, if some people are struggling, I'd have to work out why. One thing I haven't really done is try to improve my team other than foreign finds, so maybe you can easily drain your funds with a few deals, which again, is fine since that's kinda the point of having extra funds.

Two other things - The managerless teams currently do nothing at all, including setting their training patterns/staff, both of which should be fixed (on the TO-DO list now).

The season didn't start automatically, which it should have done. No idea why, but that's pretty much the first time it's stopped functioning due to a bug.

Oh, re : morale, skills training is required to fix morale now, although match wins should also do the trick. Still, try setting it to 10 skills sessions for a week to see if it works or if it's broken.

And re : keys for the stats table. I think they changed the 'title' tag in html for modern browsers, which allows for pop-ups when you hover over stuff, although it's still working for the flags in SS1 (but not in SS2). I need to work out why and have it show the flags names and the keys. But in general they all go something like CGCo where the first letter is C(Career), S(Season) or T(Team), then send letter is either G(Good) or B(Bad) and the third/fourth letters are the category, e.g Co(Control), He(Heading) etc. So CGCo would mean Career/Good/Control meaning the number of times he's won a 'Control' situation. For control, that means he won a control v tackle battle. For heading for example, it means he won a header duel (it doesn't count simple headers, simple control and so on, they're all situations where the player won a 'duel' against an opponent, so one will get a 'G' and one will get a 'B' after each duel).

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:17 am 
Site Admin

I do have some skills training every day, and my team wins a fair bit so surprised it is at abysmal if skills and wins is the solution. Will try your suggestion and see how it goes..

Speaking of skills, on the very first week of the game there was a player in my squad with bril+ speed. After two complete seasons it is still on bril+. Now I know world class should take a while but 60 weeks and not gone up, is that right ? No worries if it is right but thought best to check.

Went in there earlier and saw it on week 30 and assumed you had just stopped it for fixes etc, off back in now I know it was just a bug :-)