Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: Facilities
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Just noticed that I haven't added these, but need to know what to do with them. Frankly, they're poor in SS1 imo. They're another no-brainer, just buy them to max then ignore them, in which case, I may as well just remove them now and pretend that everybody has them at max. But it's an opportunity for something interesting to be added to the game. As with other stuff though, the mechanic of 'Earn 2x whatever you spend' doesn't work unless everyone is constantly poor. I need a way to add/keep facilities in an interesting/challenging way.

Post subject: Re: Facilities
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well in SS1, they're basically 'a necessity' because they boost your crowd. Without them, you're effectively losing money. When the game first started, I was thinking short-term. Crashing out a million on a new facility might have been a big ask, but once it's not, the feature becomes reduntant as you say. I do like the idea of adding more facilities and building time, but I need to somehow get away from the whole 'May as well just build them all to max since it's money wasted if I don't' mechanic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Two obvious thoughts. One is to make them degrade with time, though that might just be annoying rather than challenging. The other is just to make sure that nobody can afford them, so buying them is a costly investment. That's a good mechanic in games - you have £10M to spend, do you spend it on an amazing player for short-term gains or on a huge facility for long-term gains? But if you can just do both, it becomes pointless. Making the finances difficult would help the game in general, but consider what's been said before about SS2 in general, it may not be a popular idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:20 pm 

Degrading is sensible, but what about some improvements being available as your experience with the club increases? Or in line with your squad value, back balance, division etc.?

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

The experience idea isn't bad. Like you build up points which you can then spend (along with money) to upgrade a facility. And if they're different, rather than all just crowd-improvers, maybe that could work.