Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: More friendly questions.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

I'm working on the 'Competitive' friendlies now and I have a few questions.

You'll pick the squad for these (just 11 players and I'll make it one-click to simplify it), but I don't want to have to show the entire line-up for the report. Maybe I could show the line-up for just the two teams involved, but even then, it's extra space/bandwidth that could probably be avoided. Certainly, on the results (that everybody can see), it'll just show the score (could possibly show scorers but again, is it really needed?).

Having said all of that, I'm guessing that you may want to run some age-based tournaments at some point, such as over-30's, under 18's etc? In which case, somebody somewhere is going to have to see the line-ups to ensure no cheating (I think?). As I said in the other thread, I'm not going to hard-code any tournaments in, which is a good thing because it's entirely up to you to make up your own tournaments and there will be no limits, but somehow there needs to be a way to ensure that people obey the rules of the tournament.

The only solution that I can think of so far is that somebody (probably the two teams involved in the match) will get to see the line-ups in the results section, for just their match (all other results will show just the scoreline). I could possibly have a sort of 'mod' tag for certain managers who could see all line-ups but that doesn't sound as good.

One other question, do you NEED an option to force a result from friendlies, i.e no draws allowed? I'd rather not add this since I forgot at the time, but I probably could.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:27 pm 

Draws aren't a problem, so no need to force a result unless you want to add an option for penalties as a tick box - but I think a replay is fine.
Picking squads: fantastic, like the extra time program that I wasn't early enough to try.
Showing squads: this might be sensible, along with age? With nationality? Just trying to think of the conditions of a possible tournament...
If it is all too much to display, and as it isn't vital to the core of the game, could it all be pushed into a different page? They'll be plenty of people who won't be interested at all, I'd imagine.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 am 
Site Admin

I'm going to have some stuff only load up if you ask for it, by pressing a button. This can be one of those examples. I wish I'd thought of it earlier because there are plenty of parts of the turnsheet that could have been requestable rather than standard. That would make the sheets much smaller and you just 'open' the bits you're interested in. At first people might look at everything but once you're cruising, a lot of people will probably just skip quite a lot of the sheet so it's a large waste of bandwidth to download it all. I might add more of this stuff later.

For now, it'll be a simple result. We'll see how it goes in testing. If people want more later, I can add it. It'll depend on the sorts of tournaments that you want to run. Nationality is a good point, I imagine people might want to try stuff with that.