Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Due to the more 'real-time' nature of SS2, the scout report can't show the currently-picked players for your opponent, because that could change between when you look at it and when the game is played (and people could deliberately put in their worst players until right before the match to mask the squad). So would it be better if the scout report showed the 'best' players (according to an AI calculation), e.g the best 11, or maybe the best 20 or so, or maybe every available player? I'm thinking the latter and then you can work it out for yourself.

Also, what ratings do you need to see. Presumably the 6 main ratings, plus condition as usual, plus goals/apps this season and maybe this season's average performance for the player? Anything else needed for each player?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

I would say we need to see the last played line up and also the full squad.

Not every manager will have the time, or inclination, to look through a large squad trying to guess a line up so to keep all managers happy having the line up from the last played match will be a basic guide and for those more interested in trying to second guess the other manager (not to mention the general interest of seeing all players owned rather than the current 13) they can make use of the full squad option.

Make sure it is clear which players are injured and unavailable for the next match too.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(144T)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm 

I would agree with Rich, last line up.

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:26 pm 

Both options would be favoured by me.

Manx Town (WPL64)
Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32 SLFA cup winners S15
Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32
The Islanders (OPAL25)Yth Lge champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)
Yth Lge champs S24 Joosters winners S31

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Good point, suspensions should be clear too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:07 pm 

Personally, I think the last 13 is enough - but agree that indicating anyone absent is sensible. I don't agree with seeing the whole squad; this is a 'secret' for those who choose not to display it on a personal website. A fresh face, who is unknown, allows an element of surprise in the line-up. If I've just signed a fancy new FP, I don't want everyone to know about it until I'm ready.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

jelly wrote:
Personally, I think the last 13 is enough - but agree that indicating anyone absent is sensible. I don't agree with seeing the whole squad; this is a 'secret' for those who choose not to display it on a personal website. A fresh face, who is unknown, allows an element of surprise in the line-up. If I've just signed a fancy new FP, I don't want everyone to know about it until I'm ready.

It's a tricky one where any choice isn't going to please everyone.

By showing full squads it does two things.

It makes the game more realistic (as in this day and age no club ever surprises the opposition anymore as all players have been watched at some level before making it to where they are) which whilst not an argument I like (as many aspects of real football if brought into SS would kill SS in a month) but it is an argument managers have made on here in favour of different things being added and/or tweaked (you yourself have made the argument John on other threads for more realism in certain aspects).

More relevantly (in terms of SS) it makes cheating by managers a lot harder as every deal could be judged instantly with no "secrets" kept. I can name three managers off the top of my head who would never have updated weekly webpages simply because their deals would be found lacking in fairness in no time at all. With unnamed FP's whose ID codes change every time they change league etc it is very hard for regular managers to keep an eye out for prospective cheating without full access to a squad and Glynn understandably has neither the time nor inclination to investigate vague claims that lack any real proof of something untoward having taken place.

For all the managers who would never dream of such behaviour (such as yourself John), keeping it old school to the 13 who last played (with notes of suspensions or injuries to those 13) undoubtedly appeals and personally I would have no issue with that in general.

However, with Glynn changing the way squads are with more squads per team, more interaction between them etc and managers having to use far more players in a season due to more fluctuation of form, fitness etc I have a feeling the "last 13" option may well prove to be completely inadequate if the game is going to be as comprehensive in terms of the squads as Glynn has aimed for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm 

OK, I take the points about cheating (Rich) and also possible bids (Rob) but is there a middle ground of the top 20/25 best (or most used) players? Mind you, perhaps that will be the whole squad! I could be talking myself out of this...

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:52 am 
Site Admin

I'm thinking of the entire squad right now, for the reasons Rich mentioned, plus the fact that the database doesn't store the last squad in that fashion. It does store every match, so it could be taken from there and it stores the currently picked squad, but as I said, people could change it to try to trick you, which isn't very realistic (or fun).

I'm thinking of the whole squad, which would be sortable, so it should be fairly easy to get an idea of who'll be playing just by checking out the best players. Injured / suspended players could either be marked as such or just not included in the squad that you see, to reduce the list. I could leave out clearly weak players too, or perhaps have a tickable box to mask them out so that you're left looking at just the 'best' players. Obviously the manager could still choose one of the weak players but that's hardly going to bother you ... 'Why wasn't I shown that all-abys player in the list, he clearly swung the game in their favour!!'