Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: International Scout
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I would point out that this + the youth scouts are one of my fav parts of SS1 since I basically play the game single-player and it's the only way that I can get new players. However, I'm not sure that everybody else uses them as I do, so a couple of questions.

When you send a player to a country, is it really necessary to give a skill-level? Presumably, you're always just after the best player he can find? The fun part (imo) isn't so much the skill as the age and speed, which are random and therefore seem more important than the rest. I don't really see a new to change that, but the skill-requirement seems a bit redundant. Wouldn't it be better to just tell him where to go and he either comes back with nobody (based on the availability of players in that country) or with a player rated somewhere between abys and bril (based on the skill quality of that country). And of course, wages/signing on fee decided by the expense of that country. So basically, exactly like SS1 but you don't give a skill requirement?

Or am I missing something? Is there a time that you actually want lower quality players? Bear in mind that in SS2 you can never be short of players. If you are, you get all-abys players to fill the gaps.

Post subject: Re: International Scout
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

You are spot on. Has to be said the drop off in quality even asking for an "excellent" is such as to make the signing not worth the effort.

If anyone does actually look for less than brilliant players it is a false economy choice and a waste of their time the way they are produced in SS1.

I have heard of managers looking for less than brilliant in the past but they quickly realise the futility of it, plus of course it just leaves them wondering what might have been had they actually searched for a bril player that week as they look at the unimpressive skills and imagine them a tad bit higher.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
AYRHEAD..................................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(175T)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:09 pm 

Presumably, the current scouting system is all about the likelihood of finding a player of that calibre in that country? So, in Country X a 'very good' player might be the most likely... let's say a 10% chance... but a brill player is still possible, but might just be 3%? I thought that there would be a normal distribution around the most likely skill level. I know in practice only 'brilliant' is worth keeping but I know two managers (and myself on some occasions in the past) having gone for excellent or very good, just to find a player (from a cheap country so they can be sold for profit).

In saying that, I'm happy with just finding the best, I think. Does the scout have to be restricted to only finding one player? He might spot a couple while he's out there. I'm paying him to work all week so I think they should pull their finger out!

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

The skill rating of the player you search for relates to their skills NOT the percentage possibility of finding them.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
AYRHEAD..................................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(175T)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:22 pm 

Sorry, my post wasn't clear - I understand that it relates to the skill level - I just believed that certain countries were more or less likely to have a brill player in them. So for example, when you don't send your scout, he let's you know about X country and says the level of player that you might find. If it doesn't work like that anymore, then it must have worked like that originally when it was coded, or those reports are a stupid waste of time.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

It's not very well done in SS1. I think I was aiming for something along the lines of, if you search for 'good' in a 'good' country then you have a high chance, but it doesn't seem to work like that. And I don't think it matters anyway and it comes across as a bit too formula-based, i.e people will find the 'good' countries soon enough. I think it'd be better if you just sent him out and he came back with the best he can find (2 or more might be a possibility but I'm not sure if it'd be too many players coming in?). The differences would then be that if you go to, e.g Germany, your odds of finding a brill are higher than, e.g Finland but he'll be more expensive to buy. However, the odds of finding a good player in either country are equal, assuming Finland is rated as 'good' and the Finnish player will be cheaper.

Problem is, I'm still not sure why you'd even want a good player compared to a bril one. Maybe the odds should be higher that you'll find one anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

I would like to change it so that it's possible to find any rated player in any country, but the odds would obviously be lower. So in the above example, maybe you'd go to Finland in the hope that he'll find a bril there for a cheaper price, which would be possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm 

Might improve the odds of finding a brilliant player in Finland if nobody else sends their scouts there

Manx Town (WPL64)
Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32 SLFA cup winners S15
Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32
The Islanders (OPAL25)Yth Lge champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)
Yth Lge champs S24 Joosters winners S31
The Vale (NSA2)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Since the game began, people have asked if countries have a limited number of players, which they don't. I'm not sure if adding something like that would improve the game since it would still be mostly luck and the numbers might get messy if the number of managers fluctuate.

I think it should be a straight number, based on luck and the nation you send to.