Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: Contracts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:43 am 
Site Admin

May have gone over this before but I need to finalise it now. It's interesting that I'm now only looking for simple solutions, but solutions that are either fun or completely hassle-free.

In this case, the contacts in SS1 aren't much good either in my opinion. It's another case of 'Just get the job' done. You sign the player because you have to, there's no interest in it that I can see. I'm not even sure if there's any way to make extra money from it, unless you know exactly the formula to pay players, in which case, there's still no fun in it. In other words, for SS2, I want either something fun which can bring you some profit, assuming that you put in the effort (I'm thinking some sort of negotiation process) or just a very simple 'Sign this player for the standard fee' button, which would get the job done.

Obviously the latter would just be a 'Re-sign this player' button. If you intend to keep him, you click him and he stays. Simple as that.

Negotiations are tricky because we don't want a situation like the CM games where you annoy a player so much that he refuses to play for your team. It's hard to think of a way to make it fun, assuming we don't want that and the player needs to sign for a sensible wage/fee. You could just click a 'Negotiate' button a couple of times to bring his wage/fee down a bit, but at some point he won't budge and it'd then just be a case of clicking the button if you can be bothered or just accept his standard fee.

Right now I can't think of anything. As I say, it's a very basic part of the game and it's no fun in SS1 either (that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong). If there's something that makes it fun in SS1, or you can think of something that would improve it, throw ideas in here please.

Post subject: Re: Contracts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Well judging when to invest a long term contract can be interesting as you have to weigh up saving money by signing a player before they increase in value against the likelihood you will transfer the player before his contract expires.

Obviously there are morally grey areas of saving money by moving a player's position to a lesser one before signing but that isn't "fun" and at best is just a workaround/bit of a fiddle to save cash.

Agreed no one wants a bright young star/new signing refusing a contract so the present system of judging how long to offer is better than nothing. At least it requires some thought and can save sometimes significant money if done correctly.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(140T)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Values aren't going to change if you change a player's position now, so that's that problem solved.

Good point re : the length of contract. There are a couple of points here. Firstly, a player will increase or decrease in value, depending on his age, so for example, it might be an idea to snap up a 4-year contract while he's 16 on the assumption that he may improve in value over the next few years, so you're getting him cheap now.

I was going to say that perhaps you should have to pay up his contract to release him early, but I don't like that idea. However, I think something could be done with longer-term contracts, along the lines of lower wages for longer contracts but you run the risk of losing out if you release him early since you've paid out a 4-year signing on fee. I think it's similar to that in SS1 already, except that wages aren't lower. I'm not sure this is interesting enough to even bother with though, it still sounds easier to just sign him for whatever he's worth... ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 am 
Site Admin

Glynn wrote:
Values aren't going to change if you change a player's position now, so that's that problem solved.

Good point re : the length of contract. There are a couple of points here. Firstly, a player will increase or decrease in value, depending on his age, so for example, it might be an idea to snap up a 4-year contract while he's 16 on the assumption that he may improve in value over the next few years, so you're getting him cheap now.

Bit in bold - good :-)

Following bit, exactly my point re judging when to give a long term contract.

Don't think having to pay out a contract is a good idea, mainly because you can guarantee managers forgetting/working it out wrong and just making their finances worse (enough managers incapable of running a club in credit already inexplicably without giving them new ways to quickly lose money).

May have a negative effect on the market/transfers too as managers will be far more cautious resulting in fewer deals/bids as managers will find borderline players risky with the penalty of paying a contract out if they change their mind in a few weeks.

Rare to find any manager whose plans don't change after signing a player and that player is gone a month later..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, agreed. And we're agreed that we don't want players refusing to sign and I also don't want the situation from SS1 where you can just knock a player's wages down randomly to a new amount without his agreement. The whole 'happiness' rating needs to go really and you should just be forced to pay a player his normal wages. Maybe there could be an option to pay him MORE which could give some sort of bonus, but never an option to pay him less than he 'should' be getting. Not sure what sort of bonus though, maybe a small morale bonus.

Then we've got the longer contract thing to give you a bit more of a decision to make. Longer term means slightly lower wages with the small risk that you sell him and lose the large signing-on fee that you gave him originally?

That sound ok? It's strange that as I go along, I'm just trying to simplify everything, but to be honest, I can't imagine what I was even thinking with some of the SS1 ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure about the bonus for overpaying a player, that plays into the hands of the richer clubs getting an advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

True. So it'll just leave you with the simple choice of 1, 2, 3 or 4 season contracts? Actually I might make it weekly so that you can even out your contracts for your players, something that I find annoying in SS1. So you can choose between something like 30 weeks up to 120 weeks (in weekly increments) and you pay something like 1% less wages every 10 weeks extra on the contract or something like that? So at 120 weeks, his wages will be about 9% less. Sound ok?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

It is very simple but this is one area where simple is better imo.

Post subject: r2d2ru
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed and sounds good