Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: Sponsors / extra income.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

These are bit lame in SS1. The main sponsor is ok since it gets the job done and you know how much you're getting, but the rest are a bit bland, so I'm thinking of ways to improve this part of the game a bit.

A few things to bear in mind for SS2.

1) People don't want it over-complicated, so we don't want to drag you into a 10-week negotiation to get a sponsor completed.

2) You don't want too much randomness involved, but a bit might not hurt.

So my thinking is to have all sponsors / extra income behave in the same way, which would be as follows. When your existing sponsor drops below 30 weeks, you'll be approached by a new one who'll make you an offer. You have two choices, accept or negotiate. If you negotiate, there are two things that can happen, either they'll offer more or cancel and you'll be forced to start again (a new sponsor will start a new offer). You'll be given a % chance of failure so it's up to you how far you want to push them.

For the lazy people, you can pretty much just hit accept as soon a new offer comes along, or maybe push them once or twice for a better offer.

The problems I see are that lazy managers actually lose out slightly though I'm not sure how much of a problem that is. Obviously you should be rewarded for putting in extra work but this could become a bit of a boring job which you feel forced into dealing with.

Another way of doing it might be to give you 2 or 3 sponsor offers, none of which are negotiable but have different payments methods. For example, sponsor 1 might offer £1,000,000 lump sum for a 30 week contract, 2 offers you £75,000 per week for 30 weeks and 3 offers you something in between (a bit of a lump sum plus a weekly payment). I'm not sure if lump sums or weekly payments should give the higher amount - I'm tempted to say weekly payments should since they take longer to arrive, so they're more of an 'investment' than a Cash -.

Something along those lines, something simple but mildly involved, so you feel that you're doing something. The first method could be quite interesting because you're 'gambling' to try to get more.

I could apply this to everything from you main sponsor to your tea-cosy sponsor, obviously paying different amounts.

Any thoughts welcome, I need a basic idea so I can get cracking with something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Personally like the idea of negotiating but have no issue with just having the 3 options either (and agree the long term payment on a weekly basis should be the one that earns the most as you are being patient to get it all and also rewards managers for keeping teams over the longer term rather than grabbing a lump sum, spending it and then dropping the side).

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
WILLOUGHBY HUSKIES.................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(177T)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:07 pm 

Agree with Rich even though I probaly come into the lazy caterogary :oops: :)

Manx Town (WPL64)
Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32 SLFA cup winners S15
Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32
The Islanders (OPAL25)Yth Lge champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)
Yth Lge champs S24 Joosters winners S31
The Vale (NSA2)
Saints of Southampton (MOA11)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

The problem I see with option two is that it's usually a no-brainer. The only reason you'd take the lump-sum is if you're desperately in debt, otherwise you may as well just take the higher payment.

Option one does seem better. Come to think of it, only one sponsor (the main sponsor) pays enough to make it a big deal anyway. Let's say you negotiate something like a 20% improvement, that'll be maybe £400k or more, so worth doing and therefore 'necessary'. However, the tea-cosy sponsor will maybe bring in £10 per year so messing around for a £2 improvement won't matter, even if you can be bothered. In seriousness, I think the other sponsors will be around £100k per year at most, so twiddling around might make you £20k.... or maybe I should get rid of the negotiate option for everything except the main sponsor and instead the others just give you a randomized amount, or a selection of random options....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:09 pm 

As with all the ss2 suggestions, if you can hide the detail away and auto renew for those who want an experience close to ss1, then great! Then for those of us who want to dabble, can do so - fab. I like both options, but perhaps 1 is the most appealing to me.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

I would definitely scrap negotiating over the lesser sponsors, too fiddly for too little return.

As to option one you may underestimate the number of managers who make a mess of their finances and will just want the lump sum bail out, not to mention managers taking on new sides where finances at the outset may encourage grabbing a lump sum to get player(s) to help now rather than slowly accumulate wealth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm thinking that perhaps a simpler option, which I think ticks all the boxes, including catering to the lazy, is that when an existing sponsor drops below 30 weeks, a new offer will arrive. You can either ignore it or reject it. If you ignore it, it'll become your new sponsor when the existing one finishes. If you reject it, it's cleared and a new offer will arrive on the next turn. So for the lazy/simple option, you just pay no attention and you get new sponsors automatically. If you want to dabble a bit, it's up to you, you can keep rejecting offers until you find one that suits you, but you'll have to bear in mind that there's only a certain range and if you see a decent offer, it's probably best to just leave it rather than risk cancelling it.

One thing that I think may make things a bit more interesting is that new offers will have all kinds of lengths. So for example, a main sponsor will be anything from 30 to about 90 weeks although the amount they pay will always be within a certain range (e.g about £1.5M per 30 weeks). This will at least mix things up a bit with how much money you have coming in at any one time.

Does anyone care about names? I'm already still stuck with the player names idea (so far it's all automatic and you may have noticed that there's a huge database of foreign names now). Are fantasy/random names fine or do you really want to name your own sponsors?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:34 pm 

As no-one sees the sponsors, I think the chance to name them is a nice personalisation - like we have now... but I can see how that might not work with this system. Could we name three to five sponsors we'd be happy with and then wait for them to make the offers so the names are drawn from our own list rather than a wider database?

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe something like that would work. Or maybe not even have a name for them at all? I'm not sure it's even needed. Right now I think you only have a name for your main sponsor, so at least maybe make the minor sponsors random or unnamed. And maybe allow you to choose your main sponsor from a list? I basically want to avoid having people type stuff in because 30 years of SS have convinced me that people will always use stupid names whenever possible!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, once saw a player called Glynn Carey, what a stupid name :P :lol:

Joking aside, can't imagine anyone wanting to name sponsors for all the different bits coming in, one main sponsor at most.

Never personally cared about my sponsor's names but then once you set a name there is never an option to really change the name as why let the contract lapse to zero when you can renew at 30.

I like John's idea re a selection to choose from but knowing you want to basically remove as much inputting at yuor end as possible I can honestly say naming of sponsors means nothing to me :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:27 pm 

Yeah, would definitely not be bothered about naming minor sponsors - and I'm not even that excited about the main one. It's just nice to have the option - not a deal breaker though. Heck, I haven't even renamed my stands and ground on most of my teams! I noticed this week that St John's don't even have a ground name...
My favourite sponsor though is John's Myth Bitter... but is it really bitter at all? Glynn vindicated - we only like naming things to be stupid (or mildly amusing, if you are capable of such things.)

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:28 pm 

Cue the insults for such a stupid sponsor name...

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

I think to be fair plenty of people want to give "proper" names to many facets of their club, from ground names, stand names to sponsors etc

There will always be some who want to try and be funny with the naming of stuff, normally they are the least funny people weirdly. But they are definitely in the minority as most of the time Glynn doesn't have to "police" them too much. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Going back to the way it'll work, I think I'll just go for my new idea. The more I think about it, I wouldn't want to be piddling around with negotiations myself. The idea of seeing a new offer and just a single 'Reject' button sounds fine to me. If the offer is bad, reject it and see what offer you get next week (which could be quite interesting because at some point you'll probably get a 'good' offer), then just leave it to complete on it's own. I'll randomize basically everything from the weeks offered, lump sum, weekly sum etc.