Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Starting a new test. League is set up and first matches played. If you took part in the last test and can remember your username / password, you should be able to log in to your team (a new team). If you can't, either create a new one and leave me a message here or if you've forgotten the pw, let me know and I'll reset it.

http://www.soccerstar.org.uk/ss2/index.php

Point of the test really is just to get it looked at by you guys, since I've added far too much since the last test and done very little testing or balancing of my own. I need to stop, take a look at it, fix what's broken and start getting some balancing done. Right now, expect bugs and very poor balancing.

Matches are in and working now, that's the main thing since the last test. The highlights are a massive pile of spam right now and need working on. They're still in a very basic form just so that I could follow them while testing. I intend to add extra highlights for each situation (so it's not the exact same wording every time) and you won't see nearly that many on the final version. You'll just see highlights, although it'll probably still be a page or two (probably an option to only major highlights). If anybody wants to trawl through their match highlights to check for errors, please do, I can't bear it any more :P

No transfers yet, grounds, finances. It's not finished by a long shot, but it's getting there.

Play around with it, feel free to comment on anything. Try to break it, that's the point. If you see anything that looks wrong or you find a way to break it, let me know here. I'll do 1 match per night for a few days probably, around 8pm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

One thing that's already occurred to me is, the massive highlight spam might be using up a lot of bandwidth (it takes about 3 or 4 seconds to load the whole sheet it on my PC). It might need trimming / removing quickly, otherwise I might end up over-using my monthly bandwidth.

Anyone know how I can find out the size of the page (in bytes) in the browser? Probably on F12 somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Worked that out, it's 4mb and takes 10s to download. It shouldn't be so bad once the highlights are fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:23 am 

Will be looking at it tonight

Manx Town (WPL64)
Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32 SLFA cup winners S15
Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32
The Islanders (OPAL25)Yth Lge champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)
Yth Lge champs S24 Joosters winners S31
The Vale (NSA2)
Saints of Southampton (MOA11)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:52 am 

Worked fine - I read all of my game details just to find out I drew 0-0 :)

Long Eaton Archers WPL 7 Shaolin WPL 39
Istra Pula Opal 46 Abysmal Aftermath Opal 50
FC Abertawe Opal 1 Riverplate Opal 36
Dell Diamonds Opal 54 Norfolk FC Opal 37
Death Valley Wanderers Opal 35 Bayern FC Opal 45
Moles Rangers NSA30 Lakeland Jags NSA38
Celyn Coyotes WS 35 White Zombies WS4 FC Storm Chasers WS54
Romford Dogs MOA25 Lochar Thistle MOA 32

http://www.opal-league.webs.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Lol, bet that was a fun read :p I intend to flesh them out, the new system allows me to add different highlights based on the quality of the move, e.g I know if a tackler just barely makes a tackle or easily makes a tackle, based on the numbers. So I can have, say, 10 descriptions for tackles, everything from 1.1x success to 10x success. Even then, I think there should only be 2 highlight options, something like highlights (goals, shots off target) to major highlights (just goals, sending offs etc).

Feedback here please, feel free to comment on anything as a lot of it isn't tested.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah the highlights need a major time, no need for that many. Just keeping them there so that people might be able to help me eliminate bugs and balancing problems.

Where can't you sort the values? If you mean the squad section, bear in mind that it only sorts the section you're clicking on (e.g if you click the header on the GK ratings, it'll only sort the goalkeepers).

Yeah the stats are small by necessity. I'm not sure what to do about that. I think you can zoom browsers anyway, not sure. Either that or I'll use a bigger font but it'll take up sooooooo much room.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:27 pm 

I presume we will have next weeks opponents in there or have I missed that somewhere?

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Good spot Rob, the value column is broken. Easy fix, already done (not on your version though, but it'll be done by next time).

Things should save when you change them yes. The things that don't save right now are stuff like formatting, e.g if you tell it to expand the tables and then relog, it'll just return as the default option. Obviously in other cases, changes won't occur until the matches are processed, so if, for example, you put a player on the AM and then relog, he'll still be there, waiting for the turns to be done (but the box should still be ticked).

Yes Dave, there will be scout and opponent reports. Not done yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, just for the hell of it (and to get some practice), that sorting thing is also fixed on the online one, so it should sort correctly now (relog if you haven't).

Also, running matches now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 am 

Ayrhead wrote:
I've just set all 16 of my training staff to BRILLIANT and (a) the game let me whilst (b) telling me that next week's trainer wages are only £10,000!

Specifically I set the first one to AVERAGE and it gave me a total of £2,500, which is correct. I set the second to average and the total didn't change. I set one to BRILLIANT and the total increased to £10,000. I set them all to brilliant and the cost remained at £10,000

Think that is the cost for that particular staff member

Manx Town (WPL64)
Inter Southampton (OPAL24) Yth Lge champs S9,S31,S32 SLFA cup winners S15
Wight Wanderers (OPAL5)
Southampton Sity (OPAL15) SLFA Cup winners S20 Joosters winner S24 Div 3 champs S25
Sylvan Lake (OPAL17) Div 1 champs S19,S29 SLFA cup winners S32
The Islanders (OPAL25)Yth Lge champs S25
Southern Vipers (OPAL48)
Yth Lge champs S24 Joosters winners S31
The Vale (NSA2)
Saints of Southampton (MOA11)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Re : the contracts, you'll have to tell me what's happening, because on mine, you fill in the contract and make the offer, then click the X and his page disappears (which is what the X is supposed to do). You're then in the same spot you were in (i.e just above the training section).

Or do you mean, you'd like to have it scroll back to the squad page at that point? That might be possible. Bear in mind there's a navigation bar at the top, so just hit 'Squad' if you want to go back up there.

Re : the trainers, good spot, it's happening on mine too, I'll fix it :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Actually very good spot because I'd never have noticed it, because it's not happening on my test server (i.e directly on my PC). So it's a bit odd, since they're both using exactly the same code.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Think I've fixed it, along with a bunch more very similar bugs, which may explain why some people weren't seeing their changes saved. Fixed most of them (hopefully all).

Also matches played.