Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: Re: Fitness / Morale.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

I've discussed it a bit with Rich but haven't really made a firm decision yet. Put it this way, if they are kept, they'll be nothing like they are now. They're very basic but have a major flaw (the fact that they just go up constantly, which didn't seem like a problem for the first few seasons). I might keep them and have them fluctuate wildly, or just get rid of them, not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Err, they don't go up constantly. You have to do one day a week on each to just maintain the current level.

Hoping they just go as they make no sense as configured simply because they don't take into effect the player's themselves so you can end up with a team of rubbish players who are brilliant at them or a team of stars who are rubbish at them.

Could be re-configured to take into account player's etc but seems a lot of potentially unnecessary work for you ??

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
AYRHEAD..................................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(175T)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well they used to go up constantly and if you train twice a week, they still go up constantly. My point being, there's no limit. Even a simple limit of say, 100 points and the -1 per week, would have made them ok originally. But they're out of hand now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, but you did say you was bringing in a cap on that after certain teams had ridiculous numbers as other things that go to brilliant (eg player skills) are capped so seems no reason why brilliant in another rating shouldn't be capped. That is because, as you say, they had got out of hand to put it mildly but the solution (at least in SS1) is a very simple one, cap like other ratings get capped.

Plus to actually have those numbers go up you have to sacrifice other training currently as you need to do 2 of one to gain anything..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

A simple cap might work for SS2 anyway. Make it a fairly low number (again, 100 sounds fine) and a similar system to now. But to be honest, it's not very fun anyway plus that won't benefit the teams who've spent a billion training sessions on it in the past. I'll try to think of some other way of either implementing it or compensating those who've put in so many sessions.

A more sensible option would to have it as some sort of average of the players in the team, and the player's rating for those stats rises the longer he trains with a club. Something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Had to do a new log in and whilst it accepted that the drop down box for taking a new side is blank so I can look at vacant teams from the right hand drop down box but can't actually take one over.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Wrong post Rich :P

Ok, I'll look into that. You can log onto your main team though right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Rob, that would work in SS2 probably. It's a thought. Maybe a combo of that and having it fluctuate with transfers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Glynn wrote:
Wrong post Rich :P

Ok, I'll look into that. You can log onto your main team though right?

Good point :oops: Two window open at once and replied to the wrong one sorry.

And no I can't, which is why I created a new log in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Parkside wrote:
Why don't you reset Att/Def and setp/corner at the start of every season,in reality this traning is match preparation and will improve as the season goes on but will drop in the close season when its not being worked on,teams often get new players in so they would have to be trained on corners etc almost from scratch anyway.
I know teams would lose the stats they had worked on but this is ss2,and it would be up to managers to decide how much they put into setp/corner and Att/Def possibly having more to juggle with fitness and morale/rest.

I agree it should take into account the arrival of new players but a hard reset is a big no from me. Whilst no doubt realistic it would also make it something that I doubt any manager would then want to spend any time on (certainly not considering the relatively small room for variance of training based on Glynn's numbers to just maintain fitness, form etc

If it just gets reset at the start of each season may as well scrap it as no one long term will see the point in it anyway. By all means reset when a squad is taken over by a manager (if culls still happen in SS2) as the ratings would need to reflect what was in effect a new side but in terms of the current side maybe have it check the squad 2 or 3 times a season and adjust based on the squad then so if a team has sold up then it basically is reset but if not it isn't dropped alarmingly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yep I would scrap it too and agree with you re SS1 and vacant teams etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's defo not going to be anything like the SS1 version, if it's there at all. It needs a simple but effective system. If it's going to be part of training, then it needs to be effective, so I quite like the idea of it giving quite a large boost, but the boosts should never accumulate over time, even if you were doing 10 sessions per week. Having said that, I've tried to balance the training so that you pretty much NEED to use 9 of the sessions for fitness/morale/form now, so anyone doing 10 sessions per week would basically lose every match because their players would all be at abys/abys/abys FFM. But even if they did that, the SPC/AOD rating should never accumulate over time.

Perhaps an idea might be that the bonus is ONLY based on the number of sessions you've done that week. So it's not an ongoing rating at all. If you've done one session this week, you get a small bonus during the match (makes sense, it'd be like training specifically for your opponent, which I think irl teams do). Since you really don't have many spare training sessions, I quite like this idea because it spices the training up a bit too. You'll already be juggling the fitness/rest sessions to try to max out your players (which is very hard with the current balancing, but doable). So throwing in a SPC session is going to hurt long-term but might give a bonus for the next set of matches (it would have to apply to all matches on the next turn).

If I did that, it would have to be limited, so that say, 1 session gives a fairly small bonus (we're looking at 5% at most onto certain moves, e.g free kicks). Extra sessions should become less and less effective, so like 2%/3%/3.5%/3.75% as you add more sessions (or maybe just cap it at 2 sessions).

Might end up as a bit of a no-brainer that everyone just bangs in 2 sessions every week though because everybody else is doing it and you don't want to miss out on the bonus. And with a game like SS where you can't see the numbers involved, people do often get paranoid that certain numbers are working against them, when it might not be true.

Also I'd still need some way to compensate those who've built up a huge rating in SS1 (assuming merging teams over). I'm thinking that just a straight payment or a bunch of youth players or something, because that'll boost you for a few years, but eventually everything will level out again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, set you up with a team Rich, plus I think it's Ben made a new account.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ta :)

One thing you will need to have available at the start is a VERY in depth rulebook. I say this because the existing rulebook misses out some fundamentals, which is fine as doesn't take too long to learn, but for example anyone not reading this thread is probably going to make a real mess of the training and quickly lose interest as they won't know what to do to have a level playing field.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe, though the nature of gaming nowadays tends to be online. If I can't understand something in a game I never read the rules (rtfm), I just go on the forums and ask. Obviously it's a fully online game so I intend to encourage everybody to at least use the forums (presumably it'll have it's own).