Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

I've been juggling around with this for a week or two now and can't make my mind up. I'm keeping track of match stats (e.g number of good shots / bad shots a player makes in each match) and I've decided to go ahead with a set of stats that match up with ratings. In other words, there's a 'good' and 'bad' for each of the 5 main ratings, control/tackling etc. So every player will have good tackles / bad tackles recorded, for each game. This feels good to me because it matches up nicely with the player's actual stats and it'll also help me balance the game (which is going to take forever and I'll probably need your help with it).

However, it does mean that more important sounding stats such as interceptions and blocks aren't recorded separately. An interception for example will just be recorded as a good 'control' + a good 'tackle', whereas a blocked shot will just be recorded as a good tackle. That feels slightly disappointing but adding them also feels a bit wrong because, for example, recording a block as a block instead of a tackle, ruins my previous point that good tackles should line up with your tackling skill. I suppose I could have a block recorded as both a block AND a good tackle, which might work, but then we'll end up with some really large tables (they're already quite big because each of the 5 stats has 3 columns, good/bad/percentage).

Any thoughts. Does anything think that recording blocks and intercepts separately is important? If not, I'd rather stick with what I've got (remember as always, I can always add stuff later if it seems like a good idea).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:32 pm 

I do like the idea of recording blocks/interceptions as I think they are important things to know, especially with defs.

With atts/mids you can see if they're scoring, but are your defs doing their jobs?

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Well to answer your question Woody you would know the defender is doing their job based on tackles and headers won for starters. Not as if they are being ignored.

I don't see the point in recording blocks and interceptions separately because as long as they are recorded as part of that player's relevant skill aspects (in this case defenders tackling and heading) then they are still being credited and we can still see if a player is doing a good job.

If they weren't being allocated to an existing section (eg tackling) then I'd agree with Woody but as they are I don't see how his question regarding defenders doing their jobs isn't already answered and therefore redundant to the issue.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
AYRHEAD..................................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(175T)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

I think either way is good, it's kinda like having 'Tackles' and 'Really important tackles', in a way. But for sake of saving space, I think I'll just go with the 5 ratings for now. Obviously I'm storing other stuff like appearances, goals etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Either way is good agreed, just making the point that nothing was being "lost" if the blocks etc were being allocated to tackles etc so the idea that we wouldn't be able to tell if a defender was doing his job wasn't actually correct (in the nicest possible way to Woody) :)

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
AYRHEAD..................................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(175T)