Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post subject: Extra income slots.
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

I want to start working on some of the minor financial stuff, such as websites and club shops. Right now, they're either not coded into the game at all (e.g the extra income slots) or are fairly boring 'no brainers' where you just set them to level 10 and get the money back slowly. That mechanic is actually very good in a game, so long as there are plenty of things to invest in, but it's a bit weak in SS1 because they're not very expensive and once set to 10, there's nothing else to do.

I have a few ideas which I want to add which will help boost club shop and website sales, so I want to get working on them, but could use a few ideas on how to implement them.

The obvious idea which I've considered in SS1 is to just have the facilities degrade by 1 level each season, to reflect them getting old and outdated. Bit boring though.

Something along the idea of the new trainers idea (i.e you're limited to £50k on the trainers) is good, but not sure how it'd work here. For facilities I could have it so that you only have so much room, so you have to squeeze in the various facilities into the available slots. Doesn't make much sense for the scoreboard though, it's not like you've have the club-shop up ontop of the stands :p

I could maybe have certain fixed facilities (e.g the scoreboard, disabled facilities etc) and the others would have to squeeze into the available space, so you can never have them all at max. As for extra income slots which take up no space (e.g club website), I need to limit it somehow so it's not a no-brainer.

Post subject: Re: Extra income slots.
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm 

As well as income generating, could some of these facilities have a minor affect on gates? Or the amount you can charge on the gates?

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, that's what they do now in SS1. And they'll continue to do so.

I'm thinking that I could apply different rules to each facility. For example, with the scoreboard, it'll drop by 1 level per season but you can't 'upgrade' it, only buy a new one from scratch. So you'd have to decide at what point you want to ditch the old one (maybe at level 5 or so) and buy a new brilliant one.

I might also change the maintenance rules to level x level x £100, so that cheap facilities are always profitable but on a much lower scale. So a level 1 facility would cost something like £100 per week to maintain whereas a brilliant one would cost £10,000 per week and wouldn't really pay for itself (but could have long term affects such as improving the image of the club, which helps to keep the base crowd level or rising).

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:36 pm 

Ok, that makes sense. So both the facilities and the income generators affect the gates... Cool.

I think the facilities should only improve to a certain level dependent on the size and quality of your stadium, otherwise people just set them high... It would be a shame to limit these in the same way as trainers, as it could be one of the benefits of being a longer staying manager, without making things seem unobtainable. Plus others wouldn't know how great your facilities are anyway.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:37 pm 

Should the income generators and facilities be combined, is another thought, if both affect crowds etc.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'm thinking that they'd work in different ways. The disabled facilities for example would only increase crowds but not directly generate income (although the extra gate would do that of course). The club website would only generate income but not increase crowds, although it would also have an affect on your long-term fan-base.

But I still can't think of a way of just putting everything to max and benefitting from it. If it works that way, everything is a no-brainer, just set it all to 10 and forget about it... in which case it may as well just not be in the game. So I need a decent system to make it something that you need to think about. Basically, a simple 'investment' idea works, you spend money now and earn it back slowly over time. But even then, if setting it to max just returns the money faster, it's still a simple no-brainer every time.