Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 pm 

Glynn wrote:
I can't even remember what my plan for SS2 was now other than just as we're saying now, launch it as it is and let it go on it's own way. I'm VERY loathe to have transfers in the game, they're nothing but trouble and I very much doubt that anybody is going to be interested enough to pay attention to everybody's else's transfers as they do in SS1. Simple fact is, that an open transfer system is an open invitation to cheating and after 30 years of talking about it, I'm bored of the whole conversation. An open transfer system will mean cheating, simple as that.

So it'll just be a very simple, single-player-style version of SS1. Although I agree that it's getting boring, I am finding myself interested in my squad development and starting to notice who the other clubs are. I'd be happier if I knew the game wasn't going to be taken down, as the current league is, so that everything that I do is going to be recorded for good.

Two days a week is good, I really think Thursday and Sunday but we'll see what people think.

Yes Dave, we were agreed to the sections being moved but I just didn't do it. It's not a big job.

This is the section, Rich, that I was referring to, which I found confusing as I have actually completed a transfer with Glynn! So I know it exists, but that it just wasn't actively used. Can you see my confusion now?

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm 

Epping will still be the team to beat guys... I am the Loyal of the Opal, the Isleworth of the NSA, the King of SS2 lol.

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 am 
Site Admin

Yep, see what you mean John !!

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(136T)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 am 
Site Admin

A few things, when we go live, the league will restart. You'll all get new teams. I'll allow you to rename them. I'll open up a donations page and suggest a payment of something small, like £5 per season, but there's nothing to stop you paying more, less or nothing. Right now, it'll make no difference whether you pay or not. I'll allow a few player name changes, based on the usual SS1 rules but I might limit that to people who donate, since it's time consuming at my end.

Re : the transfers. I've been referring to both today, so to clarify, I did mean the AM-created players, which are missing from SS2 and I think would be very good right now. They'd be a good way of adding some high quality to the game that would be available to everyone.

Re : normal transfers, although I wouldn't 'scrap' the code, I'd just remove the section from the turnsheet, making it impossible for you to do a manual transfer. I could add it back later. As Rich says, I hate SS1 style transfers and the SS2 transfers are basically the same. There are a trillion and one ways to cheat and in the end, we've all just had to settle for what we believe is the lesser of many evils. I'd prefer it if the evils didn't exist at all. I'm well aware that this changes the nature of the game drastically, especially among people who obviously don't feel the same way about the transfer system, or you'd have left a long time ago.

The solutions are to remove them, or have loads of rules and monitoring, as we do in SS1, along with all of the messy disagreements / agreements / reversals and so on. I absolutely hate it, but at least it works, up to a point and people are happy(ish) with it (believe me, based on the emails I get, a lot of people aren't happy at all). Since SS2 right now is very unlikely to ever replace SS1, it might be better to just open it up as a different game, which is far more single-playery. I don't think this is a bad thing and personally I greatly prefer it, as it's much more playable and you don't NEED to get involved with the interaction side of things. There is still the element of competition and the other teams are bidding against you, altering their tactics against yours etc. What SS2 would need would be more avenues for you to get the players that you need (since the main avenue of manual transfers would be removed), preferably a very active AM, even if managers aren't heavily involved in it. So again, 'SLFA' players might come to the rescue here.

Again, I'm well aware of how this would make it a very different game because the transfer aspect is probably THE most important part of SS1, so removing it changes SS2 a lot. Still, with SS2 being less active and frenetic, it might slowly build into a different game. Plus, with it being very quiet right now, I don't think this will matter too much, at least at first. People might get into it, they might not.

The new season will start as normal. I'm going to try the SLFA players soon along with a few other mentioned changes to see how things pan out. I'm thinking of quite a few of the SLFA players as I think they solve quite a few balancing problems and should automatically limit the money in the game, since it'll all go out to the SLFA (i.e it'll disappear altogether). So maybe 2 or 3 good quality players per turn or thereabouts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 pm 

May have found a slight bug on one of my players, was picking my youth team and noticed one player would be better in mid,tried to change his position to find the options were G/K,Def,Mid,Att & youth att.
It was only then I realised he was 18 but still listed in the youth team, I changed him to mid and he went to mid (full team) tried changing him back to youth att, to see what happens and he goes to youth G/K.
It's not a problem as he is in correct position now ,Mid,but the option shouldn't be there for youth.

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Were you doing the turn around 8pm, i.e Could he have aged while you were logged in? If not, maybe it's a bug when they're 18/0 or something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:38 am 

No he turned 18 3 or 4 turns ago (just I hadn't noticed :oops: )

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm 

So is next season our first 'proper' season?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:29 am 
Site Admin

Not sure yet, I'm still not happy with the fact that the youth team has turned into my money-raiser. It doesn't feel right and needs better balancing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 pm 

There number of u16 being created has drastically dried up...or is that just me?

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm 

I have noticed though I assumed that was just a problem I was experiencing. The problem is enhanced because the youth scout coaches rarely seem to find players.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 pm 

International scout found a 'brilliant' player today-here are his skills:

8 3 7 4 7 4 4 v/go 1189k 19 years old

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 pm 

Dutch_Uncles wrote:
International scout found a 'brilliant' player today-here are his skills:

8 3 7 4 7 4 4 v/go 1189k 19 years old

Thats ALOT better than some/all of my brilliant foreign player finds.. i wouldnt complain hes not good enough :lol:

Colwyn Bay WPL61
Stalybridge Celtic WPL26
FC United WPL32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 pm 

jelly wrote:
There number of u16 being created has drastically dried up...or is that just me?

Im still finding players

Colwyn Bay WPL61
Stalybridge Celtic WPL26
FC United WPL32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

My U16's are still fine so it's probably just bad luck on your team(s). The youth scouts are still bad although when they do find a brilliant player, they're a bit too good (in terms of value). The international scout is similar, it's very hit and miss. The balance isn't right in these areas, although I think the U16s are fine. Not sure what to do to fix the youth scouts and international scout right now. Having them find amazing players doesn't seem like a good idea, at least not for the youth scouts, because people will just use the youth team for raising money, which I don't want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next