Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

This section is only for discussing a rewrite of the original Soccer Star game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 60  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 pm 

I've had players swap position, I think when being auto selected of I've not played that day. E.g. a defender moved to mid who was coming back from suspension. Now I'm playing most days, I haven't recreated the issue though (I'm also getting fewer injuries and suspensions).

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Dave and myself did some testing/comparing and it is coming from the extra tactical options. Untick some of the options and subs become far more sensible (for want of a better word), have all options ticked and subs are a farce.

Depending on how attack or defensive minded tactics are for the latter part of the game (last ten minutes) you either end up with loads brought on to play defence or loads brought on to play attack. Bigger issue is the system ignoring the best skilled for the relevant position when looking to make a sub and of course the ridiculous subbing of keepers with outfield players whilst ignoring the keeper on the bench..

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(136T)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 am 

As the home team Harlesden Blue Devils had an interesting stat breakdown winning 9-0 with 40% posession:

Match Statistics

Stat
40% Percentage Of Play 60%
15 Shots On Target 21
1 Shots Off Target 14
3 Corners 5
5 Fouls Committed 3
17 Caught Offside 6

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah there are some issues with one-sided scorelines coming from apparently not-so-one-sided matches. I'm not sure what's causing that but due to the non-bril ratings I suspect it may just be an extreme in finishing, i.e one side just can't finish, the other pretty much can't miss (may be due to a very poor goalie played by the AI too).

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Glynn - you was going to keep a watch on Warwick Merchant's speed at Mirfield to see if it is changing as it has been on bril+ now since the very first week of the game. Still no change whilst another of my players has just gone from bril+ shooting to world class in the space of a handful of weeks/games.

Surely has to be a bug on Merchant for you to add to the list to avoid other players getting "stuck" on a plus.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm 

Has anyone noticed the international matches towards the end of the turn?

Interesting to see that my player Azi Jejeolaoluwa played for my first team, youth team, also U21's and full international side all within a week.
I think it's a nice addition the international matches but perhaps every couple of months.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Merchant's speed is now 998359. I can't find the other reply earlier so I can't see how it's changed.

The issue is almost certainly because it's his speed, which rises very slowly, as it does with SS1. Unless it's not rising at all in which case it's a bug.

The internationals are experimental. It'll play a certain number for each league processed. Right now I set it very high for testing. With 1 league running I'd probably set it to something like 10 games per week since there are 200'ish countries with 2 squads per country, so sides won't get many games. The more leagues that run, the less internationals per league. Right now I set it high just to check for problems. I was going to have it cycle through the countries but it's a bit complex and time-consuming for what is, after-all, a side-issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:46 am 
Site Admin

Not hard to find, just click on yuor profile and select "search user's posts", took about 2 seconds then as only on the second page. :)

Another option would be you actually taking notes in some form but I know that will never happen :P :lol: :D

So the answer is it is a bug as it isn't moving at all (as was clearly obvious as 65 weeks is too long for any skill to go up that amount, even speed). Here's your quote...

Glynn wrote:
Warwick Merchant's current speed is 998359 so it's correctly showing as bril+ . I'll try to keep an eye on it daily to see if it's even rising at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

I can't remember how speed improves in SS1 but I suspect it only improves if you give a player individual speed training. Obviously in SS1 there are only 1000 points so it probably doesn't improve in normal training, otherwise players would reach 1000 very quickly (or at least, at the same speed as other ratings). In SS1 it was a source of complaints in the early days when people complained that speed didn't improve in training but I think most people are happy with it now. The same is probably true with SS2, it'll only improve if you give him individual speed training. I'm not sure that this needs to be changed if we're trying to keep it as close to SS1 as possible, although a few points here and there in training wouldn't be a bad idea in SS2 since we can now work with more than 0.1% of a rating.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

If speed only went up with individual training on it then I can find you a few hundred cases to disprove that (and I am sure every other manager can too for that matter).

In SS1 it goes up without individual speed training. Now whether that is because positional coaches have hit on a player and do some speed training or there is a tiny boost for players playing games or both of these I wouldn't know. But to clarify players definitely go up in SS1 without a manager giving a specific individual training spot to it.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I was just guessing, I can't quite remember how it works. It does however go up much more slowly in SS1 and has been a source of contention in the past (nobody mentions it any more though).

If you have a rough idea how quickly they're improving in SS1 I'd like to know, without having to dig through the files. The tiniest possible improvement in SS1 is 1 point, of 1000. That means that if they're improving in each training session, they're improving by at least 1 point, which would mean up to 5 points per week, which is far too fast (it would mean a rating each season which I'm sure doesn't happen).

I don't even know why they're improving in SS1 because I always had the intention of having speed very static unless you went to the extra effort of improving it through extra training.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed, it certainly goes up far more slowly than other skills and I do think it is purely games played based rather than positional coaches.

My logic for that is that speed has always gone up, certainly before the positional coaches came in, and if the coaches had any effect, even tiny, then the amount of speed jumps would clearly have increased since their arrival.

The amount of speed jumps is still at a VERY low number and takes a few seasons (assuming no individual training) when it does happen.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, maybe it's giving +1 per game played, although I don't remember adding that.

Come to think of it, it's not really important what happens in SS1 at this stage. I think we're agreed that it 'should' at least go slowly. Having said that, maybe now would be a good time to adopt the often-asked-for approach of having a player's speed go up fast when he's young, then drop off when he's old? Individual training would still give a static boost regardless, but maybe speed should now change purely on age. It's quite a big change from SS1 but people have often thought it would be a good idea and I do agree.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

It's a tricky one as anything that changes something that managers have got used to may well result in fewer teams moved over (if that stage is ever reached).

Actually think the long periods for speed to go up (if not individually trained) are right as they are and I can see why speed would maybe not go up after a certain age but wouldn't expect it to increase that quickly just because players are younger. Even young players don't tend to get particularly faster once in their mid to late teens so maybe as an under 17yo have it go up more but after that I would find it as unrealistic as players going up on speed at the age of 35.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

That's why I never wanted to change it from the original, where it was static other than extra training. Speed isn't a 'skill' that can be easily trained. I get that sprinters can get faster through intensive training, but even then, we're talking fractions of a second over long distances - in SS1 terms, we're talking maybe 1 rating over a lifetime. Theoretically, in SS1, with 1 session per week, he'll gain 30 points per season, so 600 (6 ratings) over a career. That's actually unrealistic but it's ok in game terms since you've paid for it with the extra training slot.

For SS2, I could either leave it SS1-style (extra training only), have a tiny increase in training (since 1 point is now 1 point in a million rather that 1 point in a thousand, it's not going to matter much) per skills session or have something age-based. I like the idea of 16 and 17 year olds getting speed boosts just because they're young and it'll add an extra incentive to hang onto youth finds. And maybe have a speed drop for 34+ y/o's. Or just a sliding towards bril until they hit about 30, then sliding backwards... but that sounds lame now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 60  Next