Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:39 am 
Charscot wrote:
Carl Garbett wrote:
Would it work better if each leagues 4 divisions champions entered?? Still is champions league as such and therefore should bring in more entries - still doesn't qualify me but hey ho :lol:

In fact it would as Sliema won div 2 ( even tho i only ran 2 games :lol: )

Anyways just a thought for higher entrants. :D

No...demeans the idea of a Champion of SS if teams can enter after winning a lower division, on that basis it would make more sense to have the higher placed top flight teams in a league in it as they will have played at a more competitive level and be relatively successful (and I still think that is a bad idea...still reckon just the Champions).

beg to differ, reckon it should include champions of any division, lower division champs can have just as many stars as some premier league champs, is not like real life football, where star footballers aint gonna go to div2 and 3 clubs. can see your point about competitive level regarding, but lower league teams can hardly be discriminated against when they won the division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Admin

Not a case of discriminating...just a case that Glynn is talking in terms of Champions of the league not title winners...an important difference.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
WILLOUGHBY HUSKIES.................WPL25
FENWAY VALIANTS ....................WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(177T)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:45 am 
:lol: what you doing up, u shoulda powered down your batteries will run out!

fair point i still aint in the comp anyway was just a thought :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 am 
Site Admin

To be honest this comp is only going to work at this point in time if either one of three things happen. You either allow top 3/top 4 from each top division in, you allow winners of all divisions in or you make it a champion of champions comp based on winning the league over the past x seasons.

I am inclined to personally think glynn is right that the timing just isn't there yet as we clearly don't have enough current champions on the forum to run a Champions league comp (in the true spirit of the name).

I can see some point in a champions of champions but ultimately teams change quickly in SS and having the champions from a few seasons ago doesn't make them a top side now...and in osme cases title winners will have been relegated and are languishing in lower divisions.

I think having the second, third etc placed teams devalues a competition and I personally feel that allowing title winners from lower divisions does it even more so as for every quality team run by a decent manager who gets a lower division title I can find you half a dozen that are won by vacant and/or bad teams and I don't think the competition would have much of a quality feel to it in those circumstances as whilst many managers deserve credit for success at lower levels because of the disparate strengths of the leagues some of the lower division wins are frankly not worth a jot as the level of competition can on occasion be a joke involving either very bad managers and/or a division full of vacant sides...(and I say all this as someone who would qualify for the tournament based on the proviso of currently being a divisional winner).

Maybe come back in 6 months and see who has won the leagues and see if there is more managers on here that qualify then ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:58 am 
I agree with alot of what you say Rich but I think we are just trying to get some sort of Champions League competition off the ground.

I don't think lower division winners should be allowed.

It should be the top 4 of each league with the 3rd and 4th place teams going into the qualifying round. If any teams are now unmanaged then they get replaced by the team finishing immediately below them.

I still won't qualify :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:01 am 
i can hear all ya points, i dunno how many vacant teams there are in some of the prem divisions of some leagues tho, and or how much kudos there is in winning some of the weaker leagues prem title, where as in some leagues div 3 and 2 are fairly full.

like i said i aint got stats of empty leagues to back this claim up, only got the fact i been in a few leagues that appear very empty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Boo Boy wrote:
I agree with alot of what you say Rich but I think we are just trying to get some sort of Champions League competition off the ground.

That is the point though....managers may be trying to but I don't think Glynn has the interest UNLESS it is a true Champion's League involving the actually current Champions and ONLY the current Champions.

We can all waffle on here debating the pro's and cons of who should or shouldn't qualify but when it comes down to it Glynn was looking only for the ultimate Champions competition and clearly due to a lack of qualifiers right now that is a non-starter.

If truth be told you probably wouldn't get that many taking part if the entrance qualifications were extended anyway..just look at how much interest there has been in this post...a handful of managers are bothering to comment or show any interest in the first place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:07 am 
Site Admin

andy m wrote:
i can hear all ya points, i dunno how many vacant teams there are in some of the prem divisions of some leagues tho, and or how much kudos there is in winning some of the weaker leagues prem title, where as in some leagues div 3 and 2 are fairly full.

like i said i aint got stats of empty leagues to back this claim up, only got the fact i been in a few leagues that appear very empty

It is rare to have any premier division that has more than one or two vacant teams and most leagues don't have any.

It is commonplace for lower divisions to have a LOT of vacant teams...and frankly just because a league may have 14+ managed teams in a particular division doesn't make it hard...there are plenty of managers out there who just aren't that good either due lack of experience/knowledge or similar and subsequently there are plenty of leagues where there is no major challenge because most of the managers are just not that good..so winning a division whilst great for the individual doesn't necessarily mean they are a good manager or have even done particularly well.

Anyway, as mentioned before Glynn is keen on a true Champions League comp in the style of the old days so all this is pointless waffling on all our parts anyway :P :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:08 am 
agreed, very academic bull*** waffle :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:32 am 

So does all this mean Racing are the official winners :?: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:20 pm 

Rich, with regards to the comment about only a few managers bothering, can't speak for the others but the first post asked for only current champions, so I didn't really look at it after that.
Would imagine lots of others did the same, can't see it being a decent comp if you only have the champions in as it would be over very quickly.
My opinion would be to go with closest to the real game, which (and I hate myself for saying this :roll: )would be Boo's option of top four.
Must admit haven't trawled through all this post ,but if you're going to do it something akin to the real game would be best fit

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

You could have 3 groups of 4 and one group of 5, play all teams home and away, top 2 through to the quarters etc...hardly a short comp...

As already stated (twice !!) it is about what Glynn was looking for as the icing on the cake of being the best in SS and involving the champions only...the rest of immaterial.

As for interest...well we have just over an average of 4 reads per post...not a lot considering you can guarantee that the posters have all been loking at each post.

Also, even if you extend qualification at this point in time you still wouldn't probably have any more teams entering than if you just had every champion so according to you that would be a short comp :)

Simple fact is most of the current most successful teams in the top divisions are not on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Rich on this one. What I was looking for was a true Champions league, based on current league champions only. Adding 2nd, 3rd or lower Division clubs isn't what I was looking for. Since the timing was poor, I'll just shelf the idea and come back later when it looks like we might have enough for a competition.

In the meantime, since I was planning to do a competition of some sort anyway, I'm open to suggestions for some other comp. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well, as we already have one for all teams to take part in (the SS Open) how about either bringing back the one (formerly run by Nat who doesn't have the time now) where managers get to pick their best 11 from all their teams ?

Alternatively, how about a reduced numbers one, ie 5 a side or 7 a side...should be very open as there would be nothing to separate most of the sides so you would have a large pool of potential winners ?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next