Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: GENERAL SS FAQ's
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

This area will cover FAQ’s NOT found in the rulebook or other area’s of the forum (transfers etc). Please check here and in the online rulebook (http://www.soccerstar.org.uk/rulesbook.htm) before asking questions. Thanks. This is a replacement for the 2005 post that has vanished (stupid forum bug).

ADMISSION PRICES

How much to charge will vary from team to team. Using simple logic the more you charge the less fans will turn up. However, you have to try and get the balance right to ensure the best return from your home gate.

BITCOIN PAYMENTS

(From Glynn) You may not have heard of it, but Bitcoin is a 'cryptocurrency' (i.e it's entirely electronic). If any of you are using Bitcoins and want to pay in them, let me know as I will accept them. Right now I'm not sure of how it works, but I think it can be done manually by just giving you my ID and then I can check the payment and value when it comes in.

BLANK TEXT FILES FROM GLYNN IN YOUR E-MAIL

There are a couple of ways to get past this. On the options for your e-mail from glynn choose "save as" rather than download and then save to the appropriate folder on your computer. Also, the option to "view" the attachment and then save the file on your hard drive works too.

The other way around this on same web based accounts is to go into the body of the e-mail (this applies when the provider has merged the attachment into the e-mail itself) and highlight all the text of the text file and then copy this text into notepad/word and then save this as the .txt file on your hard drive.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Do not change the original name of the text file. The file MUST be named exactly as it was, otherwise the SS program cannot read it.

CONTRACT’S AND WAGES

When a player signs a contract he will receive 10% of his current value for each season he signs at the time of signing as a signing on fee. So a player worth £1million signing a 3 year contract extension will get a payment of 3 x £100,000 = £300,000.
It is therefore advisable to get younger players who you intend to keep to sign longer contracts as their value will continue to go up in the early years and subsequent contracts will cost more money.
The formula for working out wages is 0.02% of their value per week. A simple way (for some) is to remove the last 3 zero’s from a player’s value and then double the remaining figure to arrive at their required wage. It is often worth adding a small amount to that figure (say £100) to cover the short term value rises. There is no point in paying excessive amounts to players as it will not make a significant difference to their form, skills, or likelihood of staying in the future.

DIRECTOR'S INJECTION

Look at the fixtures on week 1 and then count the first team as week 1, with the away team as week 2. The next fixture is week 3 followed by week 4.

Start again with the start of games for division 2 and repeat through.

There is a duplication of teams in the position for week 32 (as it obviously doesn't exist) with these teams getting their injection on week 31.

EFFORT

A player's effort will not be affected by the importance of a specific match as the players will not be aware of, for example, needing a point for promotion or 3 points to avoid relegation.
The only way's to affect a player's effort is to give the individual player a work hard and/or give the team as a whole higher aggression.

EXTRA WEEKLY INCOME

Each team can have up to 10 add-on’s to their financial breakdown known as extra weekly income. These are the smaller idea’s that clubs have to raise much needed revenue on a smaller scale (sponsors of different types, club magazines etc). On average these should bring in £20,000 per week but can bring in far more (or less) with the right choices.
The list of available options is known only to Glynn, who would prefer managers to try to be creative and think of their own so consequently these WILL NOT be listed on the forum, and if they are they will be removed as soon as possible.

FOREIGN PLAYERS - SIGNING THEM

When signing a foreign player all a manager has to do is put the following :

Sign ID xxxx foreign player and call him xxx

No other instruction is needed. This applies to all foreign finds. If the player is under 18 he will automatically be moved to the youth team AFTER he has been signed.

Until a foreign player is signed he cannot be given individual training. However, he can be worked on by the general trainers and may improve on his skills.

If not signed by the end of a season he will age along with every other player at the club.

FIXTURES - WORKING OUT

When working out the fixtures for the upcoming season following promotion or relegation the method is simple. The team that finishes 14th replaces the team that finished top of the division below. 15th replaces second and 16th replaces third.

FORUM QUOTES

Go into your profile and select "no" for "always allow html", then click "submit" and you will be able to quote correctly in all posts.

If there is anyone who has problems then I can do it for them.

GLYNN – CONTACTING HIM

Match orders should be sent to : orders@soccerstar.org.uk

From Glynn - I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but here goes again anyway.

If you're emailing me with a problem and it's a conversation which goes on over several emails, please re-cap all the details in each email. People are constantly sending me emails with short replies along the lines of 'Yes' or 'ROE23' or something. This means nothing to me unless you remind me what we were discussing. All too often people assume I can remember what we're discussing, which I can't due to old age/vodka and the fact that I deal with dozens of emails each day. Also, I very regularly delete my deleted items folder or it gets clogged up, and I never add the text from previous emails as it becomes messy. So please just recap everything we've already discussed, even if it was only an hour ago that I sent the reply.

Oh and also, please don't use team codes alone, always give me the full team name, league AND code. The same goes for players, give me their name AND code. And this also applies in your orders as well :P

And one final thing, please DO NOT use the forum PM's to message me as I rarely look at them. If you wish to contact me, use email.

HIDDEN SKILL LEVELS

The fact is the "hidden skills" as it has been called is basically the continuation of the skills once they appear to hit bril. In short all skills are rated from 1 to 1,000 with the first 150 points being abysmal then the next 100 being very poor etc until you reach the brilliant skill level that is from 950 to 1,000.

Now, when a player reaches bril on a stat they are only at around the 950 points mark and will continue to rise on that skill until reaching 1,000 but to the manager there will be no change other than an increase in value.

Put simply when a player reaches 1,000 points on each skill they will obviously be better than a player who is all bril but on say 970 points for a couple of skills.

If a manager is lucky enough to have all brils in their youth team before the end of the season then with youth wins and training they can obviously get to the magic 1,000 on each skill far earlier than normal and be as good as any say 34yo by the time they are out of their teens.

HOME ATTENDANCES

The quickest way to improve attendances is to win matches. Also, having a ground with high level facilities and charging a reasonable price to get in will all help boost crowds.

LEAGUE MATCHDAYS

Full list of all current leagues and their matchdays, in order of processing.

Their current week as of the week beginning 10th September 2018

Monday

Watnall Premier - Week 9
Opal Elite - Week 13

Tuesday

Elizabethan - Week 5
Robin Hood - Week 2

Wednesday

Will Scarlet - Week 29
North Star Alliance - Week 19
British Supreme - Week 21

Thursday

Major Oak Alliance - Week 16

NEW CLIENT

The new client can be found here -

http://www.soccerstar.org.uk/newssclient.htm

NEW TEAMS - CULLING

Please be aware that all new teams will be culled to remove players deemed too good for a start up side. All team ratings will be double fair (attack on defence and setpiece/corners) and players will generally be skilled around good and very goods.

PAYPAL PAYMENTS

(From Glynn) Note that my address for Paypal is now soccerstar@soccerstar.org.uk. The old email addresses will no longer work, which is why I removed the link on the webpage.

PHPP FORUM BUG

As many of you will know there has been a bug that has resulted in managers being randomly banned from this forum with no warning by phpbb. Whilst phpbb hasn't come up with a fix I have now found a way around the bug and basically as long as I know your ip address I can fix the bug at an individual level.

Therefore, anyone who encounters this bug please just e-mail myself and I will fix this for you asap. If you have not got any posts active on the forum (ie still visible) then I will need you to tell me your ip address before I can fix it for you (I can see the ip address from any post on this forum).

Hopefully this won't affect too many of you (we have had around a dozen managers suffer this bug from a few minutes to a few months so far) but if it does at least a solution appears to be at hand now.

UPDATE - It seems that whilst the solution works for some it doesn't work for all. It is still worth getting in touch to try the solution if the bug affects you but it can't be guaranteed to work sadly.

RETIRING

All players will now not exceed 37 years of age and any players retiring will announce it between weeks 1 and 10 of the season. If a player announces his retirement he cannot be sold between leagues. The only transfer that is permissible is between teams in the same leagues.
However, if a player arrives AFTER the first 10 weeks via a transfer or auction market bid he can still announce his retirement on any week in the remainder of the season.
If a retiring player has 10 weeks or less to go in the season then his contract can be renewed for free by requesting an extension via the other orders part of the client. If over 10 weeks then a team has to just give a normal 1 year extension on the player screen itself.
Players can retire from 34 year's old and upwards.

SCOUTING FOR FOREIGN PLAYERS

Even though the system is supposed to be even whether scouting by position or for looking for "any" it isn't and at present a specific position will bring greater success. This will be fixed in the future when scouting is looked at as part of a client rewrite.

SELLING PLAYERS ON THE AUCTION MARKET

There is no limit as to how many players are placed on any given week onto the AM as long as the squad minimum is not exceeded. Please note that ALL players placed on the AM count towards your squad numbers UNTIL they have been bought 4 weeks later and you will also pay their wages during this period.

SKILLS - IMPROVING THEM

Improving skills of players quickly will be based on training the right skill at the right time, the player playing, the player getting extra training and luck.
Two attributes are far slower to improve through individual training (whether they are full pro's or youth players. The first is speed, which will never go beyond a couple of levels in the space of 10 years of a player's life so if you expect to take someone from abysmal speed to brilliant in his career then forget it.
The second is strength. NEVER work on strength. If you want a player's strength to go up then employ a dietician. It is a waste of a training spot to work on it individually.

SPONSORSHIP DEALS

The maximum sponsorship deal is 4 years and is worth £7,500,000 (compared to £6,000,000 over four seasons when done one at a time). When requesting this length sponsorship a manager can also request a £10,000 per week sponsor’s win bonus which will be paid to the club every time they win. Please bear in mind that once a team has entered into a sponsorship deal they cannot extend it until it has less than a season to go before it’s expiry so please spend/ save wisely. They can be renewed as soon as there is 30 weeks or less left of a deal.

When initially taking on a team take out a one year sponsorship deal on the first week with a £ 10,000 sponsor win bonus and then the following week you can extend it by 4 seasons (remembering to include the sponsor win bonus). If done this way you gain an extra £ 1.5mill as you get an extra year for free when taking out the maximum length 4 year contract so in effect you get £ 1.5mill and then £ 7.5mill equalling £ 9 million in the space of a week.

Just write in misc orders -

SIGN A ONE YEAR SPONSORSHIP DEAL WITH X (NAME YOU MAKE UP FOR SPONSOR) WITH A £ 10,000 SPONSORS WIN BONUS

Then a week later write -

EXTEND SPONSORSHIP DEAL WITH X (SAME NAME) BY FOUR SEASONS WITH A £ 10,000 SPONSORS WIN BONUS

SQUAD NUMBERS

The maximum number of players allowed combined in a squad is 50 players, with no less than 12 in the youth team at any given point (youth squad funding is removed if numbers go below for any reason). Please bear in mind that although a player is on the auction market he still counts as a member of the squad until he is sold after 4 weeks and therefore makes up part of your squad number.
Teams cannot exceed 50 players and it is advisable to avoid getting too close to that number as all deals with players arriving are counted first by the program. This includes finding of youth and foreign players, transfer deals and buying from the auction market. If there is not sufficient space within the squad at the start of a turn this will mean losing any found players for good. It will also mean that any completed transfer deals will result in the player due to arrive disappearing and a lengthy process of claiming back the player via Glynn as the program doesn’t normally find a player the following week.

YOUTH PLAYER REPORTS

When your youth scout finds a player the scout will give a general view of the player - eg I have found a cracking youth player etc His skill level is very good. This rating is only stating the quality of a youth player compared to other youth finds in terms of basic skills in the youth team.
To find out THEIR TRUE POTENTIAL click on the player's perspna page in the client the week after he arrives and his potential will be in the bottom righ hand corner of the screen

YOUTH SCOUTS

The level of youth scout you employ will determine the frequency with which you find youth players BUT NOT the quality. A brilliant youth scout will find more youth players than an abysmal youth scout, but both are equally likely to find a brilliant youth player.

JOINING THE FORUM AND THE BUG

JOINING THE FORUM

Due to the large number of spammers joining the forum, Glynn has now decided to activate the admin-checking facility for all new members.

If you wish to join the Soccer Star forum you must run at least one team in Soccer Star. After setting up your account (click register at the top of the forum), an email will be sent to myself at rdg1159:ntlworld.com (change : to @) to check the registration.

After registering, email myself at rdg1159:ntlworld.com (change : to @), telling me your new forum name, your real name, and the clubs you run.

THE FORUM BUG

It has become clear that the phpbb bug appears to be connected to people browsing the forum as guests rather than logging in.

It appears that it picks up ip addresses of guests who are on the forum for any length of time and then bars the ip address of the user.

The simplest way of avoiding this is to always stay logged in when on here so can all managers please ensure they are always logged in when visiting the forum.

If you get "banned" by the bug the quickest way to resolve this is to e-mail myself (rather than Glynn who a - is online less often and b - who only passes the requests on to myself anyway to sort out) and I will try the tweak to get you unbanned. The tweak is only about 50% effective so please try to avoid this scenario at all by remaining logged in when you visit here.

As a number of managers are working under a number of misconceptions and are accordingly either making false claims or wrongly blaming either myself or Glynn for this issue.

So here are the relevant points :

1) The bug ONLY grabs "guest" ip addresses. In other words, if you get banned you WERE logged out. There is no debate on this so please don't argue it. I actually don't have a problem with someone getting caught out, I do find it irritating when they then try to deny they were logged out when all the evidence has already proven that they were.

It is possible to be logged out without necessarily realising it at first as a temporary cut from the net (can be a second literally) can log a user out and you may not notice you are logged out at first. Also, cookies can (although this is rarer) expire during a browsing session and cause a log out.

Bearing these two things in mind even if you feel you are logged in at the time of the ban please don't claim it as you weren't. Simply not possible. Thanks.

2) Glynn/myself should sort this bug out as it is annoying/ruining your forum experience. This misconception is particularly annoying as it infers myself or Glynn don't care or haven't tried to get to the bottom of this. Simply not true.

I spent HOURS researching this bug and the simple fact is it is a bug specific to phpbb and we obviously have no access to that aspect of their coding and therefore cannot "fix" the site so the bug cannot attack.

PHPBB are aware of the bug but have failed to find a solution. I check every couple of months with them but as no fix has been found in literally years it seems unlikely now.

3) This bug doesn't appear on other phpbb forums. Simply not true. Too many users mistake what they see with what they think they know. Just because you personally haven't been banned on another phpbb site doesn't mean the bug isn't active there. All it means is that you have been lucky and/or the owner of that site doesn't make public the problems they have with the bug.

A lot of owners from interaction with them and comments on the phpbb site simply do not go public about the bug for fear it will harm their business/number of users. Whilst I took a deliberate decision to make everyone aware of the issue so a workaround could hopefully be sorted asap a lot of site owners simply say nothing and sort people out in private on a one to one basis when they get banned.

Therefore, visiting another site and making an assumption of them having no issues with the bug is simply wrong so please don't make this claim.

4) If you get banned you need to e-mail Glynn. I am the ONLY one who knows how to do this so please e-mail myself not Glynn as he cannot help you, will only pass your request on to myself and because I check my e-mail more frequently you will have a longer delay in getting back on the forum (assuming the tweak actually works). Plus time spent dealing with queries that he can't fix just delays him in processing league's etc so everyone loses out.

Make a note of either of these addresses and please just e-mail me if this happens to you and I will help you asap.

rdg1159:ntlworld.com (please change : to @ - altered to stop bots harvesting my address)

rich:charscot.co.uk (please change : to @ - altered to stop bots harvesting my address)

If you are unsure if you have any posts on the forum (or you just want to make my job a little easier) then visit the link below and give me the information in your e-mail to myself. I can find any ip address from a user's post but if either a) you have no posts on here or b) your isp uses a roving ip address I can't actually try the tweak.

http://www.whatismyip.com/

I will add to this post if/when I encounter/remember more of the misconceptions that get said to myself from irritated managers :)

Please note I am ALWAYS happy to help anyone with this issue (or indeed anything else) but my patience wears thin when managers start attacking myself in e-mails when I am only trying to help.

Despite what some people on here think I am just another manager. I have no financial interest in the game and I don't get anything from running the forum. No money. Nothing. I do this simply to help Glynn (and I am happy to do this) so please no matter how frustrated you may be with the bug (and I have been there myself having got banned thanks to Nat not logging on a few month's back !!) please try to remember that I am not the cause of the bug and cannot do anything except try the tweak and hope it works.

The vast majority of our managers actually never have an issue with the bug at all (thankfully, as I may have gone mad by now :lol: ) and long may that continue.

THE BUG - MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS

Ok, am having to post this as a follow up as a number of managers are working under a number of misconceptions and are accordingly either making false claims or wrongly blaming either myself or Glynn for this issue.

So here are the relevant points :

1) The bug ONLY grabs "guest" ip addresses. In other words, if you get banned you WERE logged out. There is no debate on this so please don't argue it. I actually don't have a problem with someone getting caught out, I do find it irritating when they then try to deny they were logged out when all the evidence has already proved they were.

It is possible to be logged out without necessarily realising it at first as a temporary cut from the net (can be a second literally) can log a user out and you may not notice you are logged out at first. Also, cookies can (although this is rarer) expire during a browsing session and cause a log out.

Bearing these two things in mind even if you feel you are logged in at the time of the ban please don't claim it as you weren't. Simply not possible. Thanks.

2) Glynn/myself should sort this bug out as it is annoying/ruining your forum experience. This misconception is particularly annoying as it infers myself or Glynn don't care or haven't tried to get to the bottom of this. Simply not true.

I spent HOURS researching this bug and the simple fact is it is a bug specific to phpbb and we obviously have no access to that aspect of their coding and therefore cannot "fix" the site so the bug cannot attack.

PHPBB are aware of the bug but have failed to find a solution. I check every couple of months with them but as no fix has been found in literally years it seems unlikely now.

3) This bug doesn't appear on other phpbb forums. Simply not true. Too many users mistake what they see with what they think they know. Just because you personally haven't been banned on another phpbb site doesn't mean the bug isn't active there. All it means is that you have been lucky and/or the owner of that site doesn't make public the problems they have with the bug.

A lot of owners from interaction with them and comments on the phpbb site simply do not go public about the bug for fear it will harm their business/number of users. Whilst I took a deliberate decision to make everyone aware of the issue so a workaround could hopefully be sorted asap a lot of site owners simply say nothing and sort people out in private on a one to one basis when they get banned.

Therefore, visiting another site and making an assumption of them having no issues with the bug is simply wrong so please don't make this claim.

4) If you get banned you need to e-mail Glynn. I am the ONLY one who knows how to do this so please e-mail myself not Glynn as he cannot help you, will only pass your request on to myself and because I check my e-mail more frequently you will have a longer delay in getting back on the forum (assuming the tweak actually works). Plus time spent dealing with queries that he can't fix just delays him in processing league's etc so everyone loses out.

Make a note of either of these addresses and please just e-mail me if this happens to you and I will help you asap.

rdg1159:ntlworld.com (please change : to @ - altered to stop bots harvesting my address)

rich:charscot.co.uk (please change : to @ - altered to stop bots harvesting my address)

If you are unsure if you have any posts on the forum (or you just want to make my job a little easier) then visit the link below and give me the information in your e-mail to myself. I can find any ip address from a user's post but if either a) you have no posts on here or b) your isp uses a roving ip address I can't actually try the tweak.

http://www.whatismyip.com/

I will add to this post if/when I encounter/remember more of the misconceptions that get said to myself from irritated managers :)

Please note I am ALWAYS happy to help anyone with this issue (or indeed anything else) but my patience wears thin when managers start attacking myself in e-mails when I am only trying to help.

Despite what some people on here think I am just another manager. I have no financial interest in the game and I don't get anything from running the forum. No money. Nothing. I do this simply to help Glynn (and I am happy to do this) so please no matter how frustrated you may be with the bug (and I have been there myself having got banned thanks to Nat not logging on a few month's back !!) please try to remember that I am not the cause of the bug and cannot do anything except try the tweak and hope it works.

The vast majority of our managers actually never have an issue with the bug at all (thankfully, as I may have gone mad by now :lol: ) and long may that continue.

Thank you.

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(140T)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]