Soccer Star

Soccer Star forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:06 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Managers Ages
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I'm 48. The idea for Soccer Star came when I was 14, playing the original 'Football Manager' for the ZX Spectrum and I was also playing play-by-mail games at the time (mostly wargames or Dungeons & Dragons style games). The idea of merging the two was perhaps the only useful idea I've had in my entire life and has led to my life of luxury living in an old coal-mining town :p Can't complain, it's been a great job, stressful at times but nothing compared to a normal job. We started when I just left school at 16 in 1986 and I restarted it when I was 21 as Trident Games. I think what's really worrying is that I took it over from my various slaves (i.e my Mum) when I was an 'old man' in 2000, at 30 years old. I can't quite work out where the 18 years since then has gone.....

Re : the poor version run by DMW Games, do you mean it was Soccer Star, but badly run? DMW Games were running the same game, but it was fairly easy to add a few 'personal touches' to it by manually giving out money, which some of the other companies did. Most frown-worthy (new word I just made up) was the 10 extra income slots each had a £1,000,000 weekly payment in one league. I have no idea what that was all about.....

The Mum and son combo was probably Sherwood Games. Jonathan Housden ran it, an old school-mate of mine, who sadly died in 2001.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 pm 

A friend saw it in a football magazine and persuaded me to join too. I sent turns to Darren Selby from Southwell. NLF2 (maybe) was on the address. At the time, I had no idea what that meant and that there were other leagues out there.
Played from around '93 to '97 when turns just stopped arriving. I think I wrote to Darren for more info but didn't hear anything. I assumed the game had finished. Bet he owes me a few quid. :lol:

First team was called Kirkley Athletic. Paul's team was Pakefield Crusaders. I introduced a few players during Uni years and they had Dorsalfin United, Trumpton Town and Thames Ironworks. I remember a massive team called Toon Army that had amazing players. No records at all. I think I binned them all a few years after it finished.

Found the game again in 2008 having thought about it for many years on and off (normally everytime I saw a postman) such were the memories of that brown envelope. Although I had an enforced break for a year, I've thoroughly enjoyed those last ten years. St John's, Duffield and Allestree were three of the five teams I took on back in 2008. I've been manager of Allestree for the longest and I now consider them to be my primary team. Hopefully I will also be playing when I'm 65. :lol:

I hope that one day a manager will turn up who has even more information about the early seasons of the NSA so I can finish off Alan's work, that we never quite completed. :(

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 pm 

I'm 40 and starting playing in the 90's in Sherwood Games run by Jonathan.

I was in the Toyota Challenge League I seem to remember. Lots of quizzes and auctions for players and Youth player prizes as well as cash for team balance.

Loved that bit of dot matrix printer paper coming through my door :-)

March Town United WS64
Vaga Valiants MOA34

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 pm 

Glynn wrote:
I'm 48. The idea for Soccer Star came when I was 14, playing the original 'Football Manager' for the ZX Spectrum and I was also playing play-by-mail games at the time (mostly wargames or Dungeons & Dragons style games). The idea of merging the two was perhaps the only useful idea I've had in my entire life and has led to my life of luxury living in an old coal-mining town :p Can't complain, it's been a great job, stressful at times but nothing compared to a normal job. We started when I just left school at 16 in 1986 and I restarted it when I was 21 as Trident Games. I think what's really worrying is that I took it over from my various slaves (i.e my Mum) when I was an 'old man' in 2000, at 30 years old. I can't quite work out where the 18 years since then has gone.....

Re : the poor version run by DMW Games, do you mean it was Soccer Star, but badly run? DMW Games were running the same game, but it was fairly easy to add a few 'personal touches' to it by manually giving out money, which some of the other companies did. Most frown-worthy (new word I just made up) was the 10 extra income slots each had a £1,000,000 weekly payment in one league. I have no idea what that was all about.....

The Mum and son combo was probably Sherwood Games. Jonathan Housden ran it, an old school-mate of mine, who sadly died in 2001.

I’m not sure that DMW Games was actually badly run. It seemed pretty well run at the time if I’m honest, although your reference to giving out money does now ring true. I was just disappointed to hear that I hadn’t been playing the original all those years ago when Rich broke the news to me only this weekend - with no recollection of the British Conference League! :oops:

It was thoroughly enjoyable at the time and a few of my friends and I wasted many hours of maths lessons talking tactics, transfer targets and generally arguing over who had the best team - I never did by the way! :?

The Reds (WPL57)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, badly worded. I know that Dave actually ran the game very well, in terms of service. He ran loads of leagues (more than 30 I think) and kept them going on schedule, which was difficult with all that printing and posting. As far as I know, it was just him and a mate ran it, his mate was processing about 3 or 4 leagues a day and that was hard work when you had to type in everything by hand, but Dave was full of praise for the guy, who always did the orders.

So yeah, compared to some of the others, he did a great job. But he was way too generous with prizes and awards which badly imbalanced the game. When the leagues came to me, there were teams with close to a billion quid in the bank xD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Glynn wrote:
When the leagues came to me, there were teams with close to a billion quid in the bank xD

Hmm, a new challenge. Maybe I should list a load of all brils and see how close I can get ;-)

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(144T)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:01 am 
Site Admin

What, how close you can get to my culling axe? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 am 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol:

CHARSCOT WANDERERS.........WPL1
DEP EL CELTICO.........................WPL37
WASCISCO RED SOX...................WPL43
ZIASTE NEQUENO.......................WPL24
CASTLE ROCK FURIES..................WPL31
FENWAY VALIANTS (Comberton)....WPL14
OSSUS STELLA SEI.....................ELZ56
REVELSTONE..(C 05/6, 08/9)........RH15....(144T)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:29 am 

Glynn wrote:
What, how close you can get to my culling axe? :lol:

:lol: :lol: Do it. Do it. Do it. :oops: :shock: :wink:

Yorkshire Patriots rh7
Melwood moa4
St. John's United wpl40
Round Hill nsa41
Sa Domu Cheta ws14
SS2.0: Epping Utd (Champions of All)
SS2.1: Oxted Utd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm 

I'm 44 and started playing early 1990. Stainsacre United were my first team. I saw it advertised in Match.

Tadcaster Albion OPAL49
Askham Bryan United OPAL53
Par Athletic Opal59
Sleights FC RH12
FC Tayside NSA11
Staffordshire Rovers NSA44
MTK Budapest WPL22
Stainsacre FC WS5
Askham Bryan Athletic WS24
Rapid Moseley WS51

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm 

55, started playing in late 80's (I think) Paramount league.
Remember getting messages back off Mo always written in Green or Red ink, it was a bit like being back at school having my homework marked :lol: :lol:

Swinton Pirates ....ELZ 24 Dinamo Petrovac....ELZ 54
Manchester Dragons...RH 17 Stonefield Cobras ...RH 26 SLFA Cup Winners 2016
Luosto Tunturi...WS 7 Locomotiv Leigh. ...NSA 18 Limone Sul Garda .....BS26
Trafford Rhino's ...MOA 10 Tyldesley Panthers ...MOA 38

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 pm 

I'm 52 and came into the game around the late 80's early 90's after a mate told me about it,i think I had teams with a couple of companies as I recall a mum and son running a league I was in but mainly I had teams with DMW,and as Glynn mentioned prize money was pretty generous..i think with DMW you could choose between free turns or money for your side,and as for the Bulletin magazine that was run alongside the game you could win all brill players for cup wins etc,also remember that DMW arranged meet ups where managers from all over the Uk would get together..think it was at Nottm Forests ground at one time.
My main team then was Parkside Rangers as it is now..although I had more success with the old side and man some great strikers :)
At one time there was about six of us playing it..now its just me.
Not sure when I came back to SS..I've left and rejoined so often its clouded my memory..now playing SS2 which I really enjoy aswell, but in some ways I miss that brown envelope dropping through the door during the week..now with SS2 I log in make a few adjustments and the team is updated there and then.

Corinthian Wizards OPAL3.
Tamriel FC OPAL6.
Belmont Buccaneers OPAL9.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

It's true, the easier the game gets to play, the less satisfying it can feel sometimes. On the other hand, some of it is nostalgia, I think stamps and envelopes would probably feel pretty annoying now. But I agree, there's a balance to be had.

I went to one of Dave's meets at Forest. It was really good, although at first I had no idea what he was planning to do and I don't think he did either. But once he started handing prizes out, everything started going well. I remember a bunch of managers and myself went out the back and started kicking a ball around, much to the annoyance of Dave as we were kicking it against the wall and it was ruining his presentations inside :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:51 pm 

I was supposed to go to one of the meet ups with a couple of mates but backed out,they still went and think it was at the City ground, as I recall they stayed in Nottingham that night and enjoyed the nightlife with a few of the other managers they met up with...could have been the same time Glynn.
And got to be honest I quite like the logging in and doing the turn on SS2..not sure I can go back to buying stamps and posting everything again :)

Corinthian Wizards OPAL3.
Tamriel FC OPAL6.
Belmont Buccaneers OPAL9.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:46 am 

I'm 40, and like many on here, returned to the game having played back in the 90s when I was 14 or 15. My team then was Waldridge Park as well, the Sunday league side I played in goal for at the time. Recall taping pound coins to the turnsheet, and sure there was a captain and pen taker option at the time too. Jonathan Housden of Annesley Road Notts was where it got sent. Mad to think some of you guys were around then too!

Kingswells Utd ELZ1 (Div 2 Champions 2012/13, Cup finalists 2015)
Galston MOA37 (Div 2 Champions 2013, Cup Winners 2017/18)

http://facebook.com/Wilse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next